Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What the heck is this???

I don’t want to make any negative comments about the current content of Sport Aviation. *Overall it is still a good magazine, even though I think they have lost some focus on what they are supposed to be about. *I will say that I would like to see more articles on experimental aircraft, from both the designers and the builder’s perspective. *After all, I thought that was what EAA was supposed to be all about. *Back in the 80’s it seemed there was always something new in the experimental world, especially when the foam and fiberglass designs came about. *It was so exciting each month to see articles showing what was being built by other EAA members and reviews on all of the popular home-built designs. *I love experimental aircraft, but I am forced to fly a ‘spam can’ because I simply don’t have the spare time it takes to commit to building an aircraft. *I think it would be a lot of fun, but very time consuming. *The last thing I would expect to see in an EAA magazine would be an article about a commercially built airplane unless it was a restoration project done by one of our fellow EAA’ers. *I have a Piper Cherokee so I go to the Piper Owner Society group for Piper related information, not EAA. *I’m also a member of AOPA and go there for general aviation, commercial aviation and safety information, not EAA. *Negative comments were made in a previous post concerning an article about a plane that was out of the affordability range of EAA’ers. *To me it is not about the amount of money an aircraft cost. *I can’t afford ‘Space Ship One’ but I think it DOES belong in Sport Aviation because it had its birth from the roots of experimental aviation. *The other expensive plane was purely commercial and has nothing to do with experimental aircraft. *I will continue to be an EAA member and get the Sport Aviation magazine, but I do miss the days when the magazine was really about experimental aircraft. *Even though I don’t see myself being able to build an experimental airplane, it is still fun to live vicariously through those that do.

Mick, speaking of "what the heck is this", what's with all the asterisks in your posts?

I made the post with my iPad doing a cut and paste from a word processor and it threw all of the asterics in there. I have no idea why. Since the iPad does not have a real keyboard it is a bit slower to type on so I thought I would type my post offline then copy it to the forum. I love my iPad but it does have some quirks that are annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by MickYoumans View Post
    I love experimental aircraft, but I am forced to fly a ‘spam can’ because I simply don’t have the spare time it takes to commit to building an aircraft.
    Mick,
    What do you think builders DO with these homebuilts when we are ready to move on to something else? We SELL them. There's nothing that says you can't BUY the homebuilt of your dreams. Just check out Barnstormers.com under Experimental - there's a whole OTHER index there of dozens of homebuilt types just waiting for new homes...

Not sure how there is this concept that homebuilts can't be operated/owned by anyone but the builder. Used homebuilts can be the best bargain in aviation - higher performance for any given price point, don't have to use FAA-approved parts, and you can do all the work yourself (only catch is having to hire an A&P 1x/year to sign for the condition inspection).

Maybe need an article on where do homebuilts go once the builder decides they need to build something else...
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Witherspoon View Post
    Maybe need an article on where do homebuilts go once the builder decides they need to build something else...
    I like it!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Suggestion

I am glad that I'm not alone in the concern I have about the Mr McClellan's and Ms Wallace's columns. I do not read SA for information on certified aircraft or turbo twins - unless they are on a home built. I cancelled my subscription to Flying years ago because all I saw was turbo twins and fancy avionics that I could dream about, but had nothing to do with how or what I flew. That isn't me. In addition, Mr McClellan, in my humble opinion only, tends to sensationalize the article topics - these are good topics, but they read more like a tabloid article at times. Ms Wallace's columns have potential, within the realm of promoting flying, in general - but I think, again, in my humble opinion, the focus needs to be within the realm of SA and EAA members.

However, I do not want to be totally critical; I think that both Mr McClellan and Ms Wallace have valuable experience and information that they can share with EAA members. But they need to focus on the EAA.

Some ideas - off the cuff and they may not be practical or realistic - just free flow: How about having them work on a home building project? Mr McClellan could test fly different homebuilt kits/ plans built planes (Rather than certified aircraft). Maybe he could look at reducing homebuilt accidents, or discuss flight testing post build, or things to deal with while building that may reduce accidents post build (since there seems to be a focus on safety). Could Ms Wallace write about trips to fly-ins for experimental or antique aircraft, or maybe warbirds? Or "type" gatherings - biplanes, RV's, any gathering of homebuilts. Or trips with homebuilders - fly with them as they go someplace.

Both could interact more with EAA chapters and maybe get a better knowledge and feeling of what the EAA is and who the members are, and what we are doing, and then focus their writing to meet our needs, their current audience, not the audience they have been writing for. That may help them understand us, and then use the knowledge and passion for flying that they already have, but focus on EAA member needs and interests. Just a thought. I didn't read all the submissions - if someone else suggested this, apologies for the redundancy.

I have to admit, that I, too, have lost interest in Ms. Wallace's never-ending cross-country saga. However, I am looking forward to Jeff Skiles column and stories in future editions. As a fellow airline pilot, I am always shocked when one of us can sucessfully write something longer than a flight plan that others want to read. He is a GREAT addition to SportAviation!

lost interest here also. just scanned through the latest sa(flying.aopa) and dumped in circular file. what a waste of ink and paper
    people would tell me that airplanes are just for rich people and I would say oh no that is not true, get I was the one that needed the education. well I understand what they were talking about now.

Quote Originally Posted by ams View Post
    may not be practical or realistic - just free flow
    ok, keeping that disclaimer in mind, i offer no facts just opinions:

Lauren Paine was doing an excellent job on "color commentary" before Lane Wallace came aboard. Robert Rossier has been versatile and expert in the "watch out for this" category for years. Assigning a professional journalist to writing test reports on experimental aircraft when we have Ed Kolano available is like asking a dentist to do brain surgery. It appears the only reason Mac and Lane were invited to the table is that they are professional journalists. Perhaps as a result of their reputations in the publishing world, our magazine is expanding its appeal to advertisers, which of course is important to the bottom line. Honda Jet, Daher-Socata, and Hearing Help Express, they didn't get that ad space for free. Maybe if SA started carrying automotive test reports, home gadget reviews, quiche recipes, or hiking trips we could get even MORE people to join EAA?