Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 79

Thread: What the heck is this???

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28

    What the heck is this???

    Why is there a 7 page article about a TBM turboprop in my latest Sport Aviation magazine? If I wanted this I would subscribe to Flying or AOPA!http://www.sportaviationonline.org/s...99366000&pg=26

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Clarklake, MI
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Burtles View Post
    Why is there a 7 page article about a TBM turboprop in my latest Sport Aviation magazine?
    Because 'A large number of EAA members own and/or fly those!' So says J. Mac.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,520
    Would anyone be surprised if there was an ad from TBM or some sponsor money from TBM involved? After all there isn't a lot of money involved on a small homebuilt.
    And the pilot/author naturally wants to fly the big stuff and the latest and fanciest.

  4. #4
    FlyingRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CJR / NC26
    Posts
    938
    That and articles about flying for the airlines, stories and editorials about late model mooneys and bonanzas, SA is really deviating from anything related to their sport aviation roots (ultralights, sport aircraft, IAC, warbirds, vintage, homebuilts)...

  5. #5
    I agree completely. The "deal" whe EAA discontinued some of the niche magazines like Experimenter was that SA wouldcontinue to represent those interests. It seems like the deal is off.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    216

    Angry

    Maybe they're just preparing us for the merger with AOPA.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    10
    I agree, J Mac is not agood thing for EAA. Shilling for Socata is NOT what I joined EAA for. That and endless droning about flying across the country with my boyfriend's son is getting as old as it was at FLYING. I think it might be time for a new organization truly for home builders. These guys have little in common with the average home builder and are about as in touch with grass roots aviation as congress is with the country in general. They should have poached Peter Garrison, at least he's built something.

  8. #8
    Chad Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oshkosh, WI
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I agree completely. The "deal" whe EAA discontinued some of the niche magazines like Experimenter was that SA wouldcontinue to represent those interests. It seems like the deal is off.
    Experimenter is alive and well, though it's online only, it is all homebuilt coverage all the time. It's a free subscription and we are working on moving it to more of an online magazine, rather than a newsletter. Check it out if you haven't already. Lots of great stuff there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Maybe they're just preparing us for the merger with AOPA.
    This simply isn't going to happen...
    Quote Originally Posted by propjock View Post
    I agree, J Mac is not agood thing for EAA. Shilling for Socata is NOT what I joined EAA for. That and endless droning about flying across the country with my boyfriend's son is getting as old as it was at FLYING. I think it might be time for a new organization truly for home builders. These guys have little in common with the average home builder and are about as in touch with grass roots aviation as congress is with the country in general. They should have poached Peter Garrison, at least he's built something.
    I always stress to members that are upset about the magazine that EAA offers so much more for the homebuilder than just the magazine. Hints for homebuilders, webinars, Experimenter, government advocacy (this is huge...), and Sport Aviation, although changing a bit, still has all the homebuilder content it has had in the past...there's just more additional content added. The flagship magazine has to appeal to the entire membership, and the current spread is covering all of it. There are lots of homebuilders on EAA Staff...I think you'll like some of the articles being worked on for future issues...
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

  9. #9
    Chad Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oshkosh, WI
    Posts
    500
    Forgot the link to Experimenter...http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    875
    I for one embrace the inclusion of the vast number of EAA members who own three million dollar, six passenger turboprop aircraft.

    For far too long this silent majority has suffered within the organization, toiling along in obscurity, wishing for a voice.

    It is about time they are represented in the periodical that is the face of the EAA.

    (They got it backwards - should have been seven pages about Russ' Camel and a two page blurb about some regional commuter plane)
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 10-26-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •