Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Part 103 weight limit

Part 103 weight limit

Is there a chance this limit could be raised?

About the same chance as a packed sphere of frozen H2O in a legendary very hot place...

Quote Originally Posted by aeroschmitz View Post

with enough power, anything may be raised. e.g. F104

Quote Originally Posted by aeroschmitz View Post
    If you petition the FAA for a rule change to raise the Pt. 103 max wt. and it makes it to the comment stage, I'll get at least 3 people to write a supporting comment!!

As much as I'd like to see a weight limit increase, you don't want the FAA to open 103 up for revision! Who knows what they'd screw with...

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    As much as I'd like to see a weight limit increase, you don't want the FAA to open 103 up for revision! Who knows what they'd screw with...

What does it really matter. They killed Par103 when they did away with training. Because of what happened to training for Par 103, I myself believe this should be re opened. What is wrong with allowing a little more weight and training. If they do nothing it will die it's slow death. Kinda like recreational pilot. Its on the books but who uses it. This is the direction of Par103.

If the FAA wants to screw with Pt 103, they could do that anytime. Petitioning for vehicle max wt increase would only address that topic. Need a good argument, can't just say because I want an increase.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    ..... If they do nothing it will die it's slow death. Kinda like recreational pilot. Its on the books but who uses it. This is the direction of Par103.
    And that would solve the FAA's problems that led to the creation of Part 103: Being responsible for regulating that which is, at best, a PITA to regulate, or, at worst, that which is incapable of being effectively regulated.

I would love to see the empty weight of unregulated airplanes set at 600 pounds, but I do not expect to see that untill after the next round of state secessions from the USA.

BJC

Safety could be the reason for the weight increase. To say this would not help in safety would just be wrong. One could use a little better engine then the two stroke. That alone is a safety issue's. Only then could one address the issue of training.

Safety the reason for a weight increase? Good point. Example. The Icon A5 LSA with a 1510lb MGW. LSA? HAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Last edited by Mike M; 11-27-2015 at 07:30 PM.