Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Part 103 weight limit

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    I have always found the FAA's terminology odd; they avoid the common usage of the word "certified."
    Yes, it's bizarre to issue a certificate that does not denote certification.

Quote Originally Posted by aeroschmitz View Post
    Is there a chance this limit could be raised?
    I don't mean to sound dense this late in the thread, but I can't find anywhere in it where you explained why you want it raised?

What would you personally do with the extra weight allowance?

The OP has another thread "Ultralight engine" where he, like many before him, is trying to make weight for part 103 compliance. This is a connecting thread without explanation but many knowing of the struggle are aware - note sarcasm .
    Buzz, the weight limit of UL in the US is Under 254 pounds. This is a hard number to attain and in part the reason for light sport.

It would allow more choices for engines.

increased weight allowance would allow for brales (or better brakes)
    Last edited by aeroschmitz; 12-25-2015 at 10:07 AM.

It would allow more choices for engines.
    increased weight allowance would allow for brales (or better brakes)
    I agree. But isn't a readily available solution already here? One can use the "operating amateur built aircraft" regs, no?

At any rate, I would support raising the Part 103 max weight. It is somewhat of a arbitrary number. I'd like to see someone write a petition (that is allowed simply by following he rules under Part 11) and make a logical argument for a modest weight increase. Of course, the process (if not immediately denied) could take several yrs but one thing is for sure, the FAA isn't going to do it on their own.

Petitions for Rulemaking and for Exemption

§11.61 May I ask FAA to adopt, amend, or repeal a regulation, or grant relief from the requirements of a current regulation?

(a) Using a petition for rulemaking, you may ask FAA to add a new regulation to title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) or ask FAA to amend or repeal a current regulation in 14 CFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    Buzz, the weight limit of UL in the US is Under 254 pounds. This is a hard number to attain and in part the reason for light sport.
    It's not hard to obtain that number with a basic UL vehicle like a Weedhopper or Quicksilver equivalent. Some of those make it with several pounds to spare. It is hard to obtain by trying to make a conventional type airplane fit within the specs.

Yes, there are a few of the open air flying coleman tent type airplanes that probably would make part 103 with twin cylinder engine. I fly in northern Minnesota so I need an enclosed plane like the single seat challenger.

Last edited by aeroschmitz; 12-25-2015 at 06:59 PM.

open air flying coleman tent type airplanes

I'm about to find out if I can receive a variance for weight on my Quicksilver in the state of North Dakota, being I have to register in this state which seems that should put it under the states jurisdiction. I,m going for the safety plea,with the ballistic chute, I automatically am allowed, what 23# or close, but it seems for safeties sake It should have a flashing beacon light, brakes, a decent harness, and a steerable nosewheel. That's about all I think could maybe be gotten out of them. What's the thoughts on the legality of the state authorizing this? I'll find out this week maybe if they are'nt all out for the holidays.