Thread: two place Corsair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Phewwwwww I feel a little better....

I should add that I was there the next day when the plane departed (it had stopped there for some avionics work). For those who aren't familiar with this plane, Miss America was a clipped wing Reno racer. Since Parks was a major aviation school, the pilot brought it around for a high speed low pas. Wow...

The Corsair V-354 was a Chance-Vought's private-venture version to try entice sales of a trainer. It was a on-off.

Others were modified after the war. The Warbird Information Exchange gave some examples in the discussion ~ten years ago.

Ron Wanttaja

Howie set a cross country speed record in that plane in 1972 heading to the Transpo exhibition at Dulles. He recounted the story of that flight to me hanging around the Air Chart Systems booth. Howie and his wife were always fun to talk to.

My brain is telling me that I have seen pictures of a Corsair variant with a slightly longer fuselage & double canopies (the rear canopy higher than the front). I took some time to look thru some of my reference books this afternoon & I was unable to find it, so I am not sure where that memory came from. Maybe it was just a concept, but my brain is telling me I saw color photos of it. Who knows, I have had enough years to forget & misremember a lot of things.