Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two place Corsair

two place Corsair

Has there ever been two place F4U, F3A, or FG-1? In the early 80's, a man (who had a reputation for tall tales) told me he and his son owned and were flying one.

I swear I remember seeing one at NAS Willow Groves annual show years and years ago. It was not really a two seater but it had a hatch right behind the right wing that one of the ground crew entered the plane. I may be crazy but that memory has stuck with me all these years. Feel free to tell me I am nuts, I have been called much worse...... Lol
    rick

Many warbirds have added passenger or baggage space where the original WWII radios used to be. I remember seeing Howie Keefe's Miss America P-51 land at Parks Airport years ago (Howie wasn't flying it) and three people got out. No back seats, they were just sitting on the floor (there were harnesses, though).

Phewwwwww I feel a little better....

I should add that I was there the next day when the plane departed (it had stopped there for some avionics work). For those who aren't familiar with this plane, Miss America was a clipped wing Reno racer. Since Parks was a major aviation school, the pilot brought it around for a high speed low pas. Wow...

The Corsair V-354 was a Chance-Vought's private-venture version to try entice sales of a trainer. It was a on-off.

Others were modified after the war. The Warbird Information Exchange gave some examples in the discussion ~ten years ago.

Ron Wanttaja

Howie set a cross country speed record in that plane in 1972 heading to the Transpo exhibition at Dulles. He recounted the story of that flight to me hanging around the Air Chart Systems booth. Howie and his wife were always fun to talk to.

My brain is telling me that I have seen pictures of a Corsair variant with a slightly longer fuselage & double canopies (the rear canopy higher than the front). I took some time to look thru some of my reference books this afternoon & I was unable to find it, so I am not sure where that memory came from. Maybe it was just a concept, but my brain is telling me I saw color photos of it. Who knows, I have had enough years to forget & misremember a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Many warbirds have added passenger or baggage space where the original WWII radios used to be.
    I believe for the P-51, that was called the Cavalier conversion developed by David Lindsay and the resultant product was called the "Cavalier Mustang." I believe Bob Hoover's famed airshow Mustang(s) was a Cavalier Mustang.

Cavanaugh Flight Museum has a Corsair with a seat behind the pilot and is offering rides for only $2495. It was at Oshkosh this year and is billed as the only one selling rides. http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com...-rides-on-tour
    I've seen at least one other with a rear seat. Look for little windows behind the pilot seat. The other one had dark blue tinted windows so they were less noticeable.
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck