Thread: two place Corsair

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wyoranch View Post
    I swear I remember seeing one at NAS Willow Groves annual show years and years ago. It was not really a two seater but it had a hatch right behind the right wing that one of the ground crew entered the plane. I may be crazy but that memory has stuck with me all these years. Feel free to tell me I am nuts, I have been called much worse...... Lol
    rick
    You're not crazy. The Corsair with the airstair door on the right hand side aft of the wing was Goodyear FG-1D BuNo 92436, ex N3470G, and currently N72NW. It's since been rebuilt and had the door removed. It was one of the tv "Blacksheep Squadron" Corsairs and belonged to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario but is now is in Olympia, Washington. There was a dual control F4U in Paris, Texas in the 'seventies that was available for checkouts but it burned up in a hangar fire in about 1979. It was a also a "Blacksheep Squadron" airplane, ex Frank Tallman, but apparently the dual controls were pretty crude. It belonged to a guy named Junior Burchinal who had a warbird "school". I don't know what the F4U checkout cost but you could get dual on a B-17 from him for $500/hr back then!
    Last edited by stearman456; 12-01-2015 at 03:17 AM.