Thread: Replacing Snap Bushings

Replacing Snap Bushings

Can anyone provide some guidance in respect to replacing a snap bushing? In this scenario, I have two bushings that are installed with the rudder cable going through them. Obviously, I don't want to cut and replace this cable to merely install new bushings.

Would it be acceptable to cut the bushing to allow for the insert of the cable (and add epoxy after install to help ensure it stays)?

If this is on a homebuilt, sure, just make sure the cut is clocked in a location where it will see minimal contact with the cable. Also, make sure the cut is between the keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by bdflyer View Post
    Can anyone provide some guidance in respect to replacing a snap bushing? In this scenario, I have two bushings that are installed with the rudder cable going through them. Obviously, I don't want to cut and replace this cable to merely install new bushings.

Would it be acceptable to cut the bushing to allow for the insert of the cable (and add epoxy after install to help ensure it stays)?
    I think what you are describing is a cable "fairlead" and it is indeed already split. No need to cut the cable. They look like this: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../fairleads.php

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I think what you are describing is a cable "fairlead" and it is indeed already split. No need to cut the cable. They look like this: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../fairleads.php

Ah! That is useful! Thanks martymayes!

I swear that one of the biggest challenges of building an airplane is figuring out the names of parts.

One can't type in "Cable doohickey" into a search box and get satisfactory results.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.