Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Registering a Destroyed Aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    Why wouldn't it ? When you build any EXP/AB aircraft can't you use Cleveland brakes, Lycoming Engines, Professional built instruments. As long as you supervise the built it is amateur built. specially when the original parts came from a EXP/AB aircraft.
    Depends on what the DAR is willing to accept. I could paint out the N-number on my Fly Baby and claim it's a new homebuilt that I assembled from portions I purchased (which I did, in a sense). A DAR is likely to balk, though.

They're probably not likely to balk at a set of tail surfaces and some other minor bits, but each DAR will draw the line at what he or she is comfortable with. If major portions of the aircraft were purchased, and the aircraft type is the type that tends to have "hired guns" involved, one may be queried for more details.

Remember, much of this is up to the judgment of the DAR. It's no fun to get to the inspection stage and have to "shop around" for a new inspector because the first one refused to sign you off.

I'm potentially facing this issue. I'm looking at building a new Fly Baby to both avoid the ADS-B mandate (e.g., no electrical system) and enlarge the fuselage for more comfort (a concept I call the "Fly Baby Grande"). Ideally, I'd build a new fuselage (2" wider, aft cockpit bulkhead modified for more legroom) and graft just about everything over from my current Fly Baby (FWF, wings, tail, gear, etc.). I'm contemplating what I'll have to do to lay the groundwork for this....

Maybe I'll throw the question up to the FAA staffers...they'd probably LOVE a question that didn't deal with Young Eagles certifications.... :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Ron, couldn't you just keep the same data plate, AW certificate and registration, do a new W&B and make a note in the logs that you replaced the fuselage? That would be a modification and not a new airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Ron, couldn't you just keep the same data plate, AW certificate and registration, do a new W&B and make a note in the logs that you replaced the fuselage? That would be a modification and not a new airplane.
    The problem is the wording of the exclusion from the transponder requirement in 14CFR 91.215: "...any aircraft which was not originally certified with an engine-driven electrical system or which has not subsequently been certified with such a system installed...." I understand ADS-B has the same exclusion, and I'm assuming it's worded the same.

So I could build a new fuselage for N45848, but would still have to install ADS-B since it was originally certified with an engine-driven electrical system. All the log entries of repairs to the electrical system (not to mention the installation of a transponder) would make it hard to claim that the plane never had one.

I know a guy who did that, when the first Transponder-veil requirement came out. He examined his logs and realized that there never had been any entries regarding the electrical system. So he took out his alternator, smeared some oily dirt around the place it had been mounted, and operated the plane that way for years.

Ron Wanttaja

Amateur built, the rules don't say who the amateur must be. I build/ fabricate parts for home builder nearly every week or so. The FAA does not consider me a professional builder.
    In this case the glider was a EXP aircraft, but may have been built by a factory in a different country, then imported. that might throw a crimp in the certification process.
    But to mix and match parts from a US kit maker that were built by amateur builders ,, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I'm potentially facing this issue. I'm looking at building a new Fly Baby to both avoid the ADS-B mandate (e.g., no electrical system) and enlarge the fuselage for more comfort (a concept I call the "Fly Baby Grande"). Ideally, I'd build a new fuselage (2" wider, aft cockpit bulkhead modified for more legroom) and graft just about everything over from my current Fly Baby (FWF, wings, tail, gear, etc.). I'm contemplating what I'll have to do to lay the groundwork for this....
    I don't see why you could not "repair" the current fuselage and have some of the dimensions change during the repair.

I don't think that would fit the "major change" criteria called out in the operating limitations.