Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Registering a Destroyed Aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I don't know who you were talking to but you were fed a load of BS. If it wasn't an experimental what the hell does 40 hours have to do with it? If it's in conformance to the type certificate, why would you need a DAR?

If it was an experimental, then the FAA may rightfully demand a 40 hour test period, but the need for a DAR escapes me there as well.

I am just stating what the person on the phone from the FAA in OK city told me. This was an experimental. We are one the EAA website are we not...Wait let me look.

He said if you repair a destroyed experimental aircraft that this aircraft would then need to be inspected by a dar. Who was I to say he was wrong. I don't believe he was wrong though. I think he knew what he was talking about.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 01-02-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lmccormick View Post
    I "think" I was given a glider that is listed on the FAA registry as "destroyed" in 1992. The glider was sold/given to another pilot as parts since he has the same plane.

Is there a way to register this plane in my name since it was listed as destroyed.
    Is there an FAA aircraft dataplate attached to any of those parts? If not, you can pretty much forget it.

Oh, Marty, don't be so negative! If there is a data plate, that will be very helpful, otherwise, you'll have to get a blank replacement from Wingsandwheels or the manufacturer and have it stamped.

Christine Mounger is one of the most helpful people at the Aircraft Registration Branch in OK City. Contact her at 405-954-3116 and have her send you FAA Form AFS-750-DESTROY-1 (01/13). Fill it out and mail it back to her, along with:
    1) Photographs showing the aircraft in its current condition, as a whole (i.e. left and right, front and back views of the complete airframe, and a very clear photo of the data plate that Marty mentioned above)
    2) Current document copies (i.e. maintenance records, 337 forms, repair shop work orders, etc.)
    3) Affidavits and/or statements pertaining to the current condition of the aircraft.

Hopefully, the N number is still available, or you'll have to request a new number, too. Being Experimental-Exhibition category, you don't need an IA to sign off on the repairs, and A&P has authority to do that. Most of the repair manuals are posted online by various soaring clubs and can be downloaded for free, you just have to search for them. The repair materials are available from several composite supply houses, too, you just have to search for them.

Good luck, and have fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by crusty old aviator View Post
    Oh, Marty, don't be so negative! If there is a data plate, that will be very helpful, otherwise, you'll have to get a blank replacement from Wingsandwheels or the manufacturer and have it stamped.
    lol, I see you have never requested a replacement data plate from a manufacturer.

The Europeans will sell anything because, not being subject to Yankee litigation, they lack the paranoia that American manufacturers' insurance underwriters are afflicted with. Yankee data plates are more easy to come by from Ebay and screen printing shops, like Nostalgic Reflections (http://www.nostalgicreflections.com/aviation.html).

You can obtain a order of the local court that you have legal ownership. the FAA will then issue you the registration. this is how mechanic leans are settled when the owner will not sign a bill of sale.

When the glider was imported as a EXP aircraft, the EXP rules apply. Repair the glider, comply with the Conditional inspection rules and you should be good to go.

No data tag? no problem, all you have are parts to help you build a whole new EXP glider. there is no rule saying you can't use used parts to build a new aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    No data tag? no problem, all you have are parts to help you build a whole new EXP glider. there is no rule saying you can't use used parts to build a new aircraft.
    As long as you can prove that the build complied with the 51% rule.

Ron Wanttaja

In 2015, almost 100 homebuilts that were previously de-registered were restored to the FAA registry, with the same N-Number and all. So the local FAA shouldn't be a stranger to the process.....

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    As long as you can prove that the build complied with the 51% rule.

Ron Wanttaja
    Why wouldn't it ? When you build any EXP/AB aircraft can't you use Cleveland brakes, Lycoming Engines, Professional built instruments. As long as you supervise the built it is amateur built. specially when the original parts came from a EXP/AB aircraft.
    Last edited by Tom Downey; 01-29-2016 at 01:40 PM.