Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Tell us what you've built/restored!

Hello all, just joined, newbe here.
    Completed my LongEZ in late 1980's, Builders assist in several other EZ projects after that. Assisted in building of the Rutan Voyager. For more info please see my members profile. My fingers are tired.
    Tom

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Bumping this one back up to the top - we could really use some more submissions, so, if we haven't featured your project, send us your story!

Thanks!

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I have a Mini-max that I built from plans back in 1994. I started with a Kawasaki 440 but later changed to Hirth 2704. Nice flying airplane.
    Name:  015b MiniMax-Touchdown.jpg
Views: 2268
Size:  10.9 KB
    Last edited by Dick Rake; 10-26-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Hi Dick - great looking airplane! How about doing a brief (200 word) write-up for the magazine? If you're willing, send it, along with a photo, to editorial@eaa.org. Hope to hear from you!

- Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Bumping this one to the top once again - I really need your stories, please help if you can!

See the first post in this thread for details.

Thanks!

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

It's been years, but my friend and co pilot Maj. Warner Giles built a Starlite, the predecessor to the Pulsar. It is tiny ,but unlike many of the low end planes it is not slow and sort of a powered hang glider or Cub variation. It is a sleek low wing monoplane, and fast for it s sizw. We opened the box and there are the two halves of he fuselage, from firewall to tail and they are split down the middle. We spread some of the glue, sophisticated and hi teck epoxy on the flange , fit them together held by bunges or something, and let it set an hour. Im thinking one day Im going to be test flying this thing and will it really hold. Then we try to wipe or sand off the excess epoxy at the joint and its like steel, no more worries about that. It fit in the back shed at his mobile home and he did most of the work as I had a ski injury then. The top skin of the wing was balsa wood, impossible light but strong enough.
    2 Hang up, the 2 stroke Rotax 337 engine sounded awful but ran just fine, Next finding enough room for a parachute when I test flew it. It flew just fine, would go about 140 mph. Flew good, ground handling was not so good. It looked sleek and cool.

Sports cars,

Jake Speed

Tierra II (2 seat ultralight type)
    Spitfire II (2 seat ultralight type)
    Moni Motorglider (designed conventional landing gear, featured in Sport Aviation May 1986)
    Dragonfly Mark II
    RV-6
    RV-6
    Zenair Zodiac Speed Wing
    Modified Murphy Renegade II (90% complete & for sale)
    Rebuilt multiple RVs and assisted build of several more.
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

I suppose this is a good place to introduce myself. My name is Mike. I live in New Mexico and I'm rebuilding the Frieberger Ron's 1. Frieberger was a design engineer for GM. He designed and built the Ron's 1 in 1969-70. Since Ron was an enthusiastic aerobatic pilot the Ron's 1 was built for high-energy maneuvers (his favorite trick was to roll the airplane on takeoff). Since Ron sold it, the plane has gone through a storied and unfortunate history. I'm the third owner and I intend to return it to its original configuration. Since Ron has gone west there is precious little in the way of original documents and logs, so I'm reverse-engineering a lot of the systems. The people I bought it from claimed to have rebuilt it, but in fact merely re-assembled it from whatever they had on hand. So, I have my work cut out for me. I hope I can pick your brains and in return I'll share what little I have.Name:  20190918_141346.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  95.1 KB
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over.

Zenith CH 701 completion

To paraphrase a song by the band Hot Chocolate,
    “It started with a kit...”
    My wife (appropriately named Amelia) and I drug the kit home in May of 2016 and completed it in July of last year. Almost done flying off the 40 hours. Wonderful little STOL machine, not a cross country cruiser but perfect for launching off our back yard airstrip out in the county. Basic VFR equipped, Rotax 912 80hp, Whirlwind prop, Stewart Systems paint we sprayed in a homemade paint booth. Our home field is 1,000 ft of turf with trees at each end. No problem even on a hot Summer day. Doors are off except in Winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images