Thread: PBOR2 Question on dates

PBOR2 Question on dates

Okay, "For pilots whose medical certificate lapsed more than 10 years ago and those who have never held a medical certificate, a one-time medical certification will be required. " The word Lapsed has me confused. If someone had a 3rd class medical issued in 2005, would the 10 years start from the date it was issued (2005) or the date it lapsed which is 2010 (assuming he is under 40 years old)? To me this seems like a big deal. 10 years from the date is issuance is very different from the date it lapsed.

“It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

The language as adopted says "the individual holds a medical certificate issued by the Federal Aviation Administration on the date of enactment of this Act, held such a certificate at any point during the 10-year period preceding such date of enactment…" By use of the word "held" rather than "obtained" or something similar, we understand the language to mean that your medical cannot have expired before ten years prior to the date of enactment.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

I was confused by the language. Called AOPA to explain it all. My medical issued in 2006, lapsed in 2008 (I am over 40). As long as this bill gets enacted before 2018, I do not need to get new medical.

Bill Landry