Thread: Can a homebuilt that has had an expired registration be recertified

Can a homebuilt that has had an expired registration be recertified

I saw on another forum that someone stated if an Experimental had it registration expired for a number of years that it could not be certified to fly again. Unless it can be proven to comply with the 51% rule it was considered to be just a bunch of parts. Is this true? Do you have to go through the entire registration process again?

skeeter

No you do not have to go through registration process again. The worst case you lost your N Number and will have to repaint your airplane. Expired registration is just that expired. Leave it expired long enough and the FAA could issue your N Number to someone else.

Tony

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Registrations and Airworthiness Certificates are separate items. Registrations expire. Airworthiness cents don't.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

And while government is not always logical, it does make sense what once a design has been proven to meet the 51% rule it should remain that way regardless of its current state of airworthiness. That doesn't get you a new repairman's certificate, but it should still say E-AB.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Not sure why it would even preclude a repairman's certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Not sure why it would even preclude a repairman's certificate.
    I guess it would come down to whether or not you can make the case that you should be considered the "primary builder." If you substantially rebuilt or completely restored a basket case, then maybe, otherwise, I don't see how you could make the argument. See https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...an-certificate
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

The OP stated the registration has expired. So now we have gone to repair man's certificates. Re-register the airplane with the FAA. Give them a call and tell them what you have and what you need. They will help you. I did this on one of my airplanes. You can even send them 5 bucks and get all paper work they have on file for this airplane. If you are looking to purchase this airplane, make sure it has the Airworthy Certificate along with the 40 hr fly-off logged and signed in the logs. If it does not have this you might get copies from the FAA if this info was sent to them. If not you will be doing another 40 hr fly-off. I do believe anyway.

This again I am assuming you are buying this airplane.

Tony