Thread: LSA/Sport Pilot Forum

LSA/Sport Pilot Forum

I was wondering if there would be any interest in an LSA/Sport Pilot section in the forums. I use the ultralight and general forums; but, a new forum might be nice to have. What do you think?

I think it would be redundant.

I suspect the Ultralight folks have their own forum because there are some really unique aspects to a lot of them (weight shifting controls, for example) that warrant a specialized area of discussion.

The Sport Pilot waters are seriously muddied by Private Pilots flying under Sport Pilot rules - both from lapsed physicals and plane choices. The PPL with a current physical that owns a Champ, Cub, CTLS, etc., is flying under Sport Pilot rules by default, for example.

Plus flying under SP rules is no different than most of the flying that Private Pilots routinely perform - daytime VFR below 10K altitude.

The only thing I can see that really applies to Sport Pilot flying that stands out is the lesson that needs to be repeated over and over again that PPL's that are taking up LSA's should take transition training very, very seriously. The difference in wing loading and handling between a Cessna 172 and a FlightDesign CTLS can be a nasty suprise for someone who hasn't taken the time to be properly aquainted with the aircraft....
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I personally would be interested in topic about LSAs, that is small airplanes, many of which are new and foreign. I am a commercial pilot with a medical and own a J3, so I am not going to buy a LSA myself.Also a lot of my flying is over 10,000 feet. I think that is allowed in an LSA if within 2000 feet AGL, not sure.
    But it does seem attractive to getting some new students started. There just aren't that many available. In the greater Denver area there are a few APA, but I think you have to join a club or go 20 miles outside of town to Erie. There are a Cessna look a like at BJC but, frankly they, to me, a funny looking, like a fattened 150. It's not the new Skycatcher.
    There aren't any to rent at the 3 schools at BDU or LMO.
    I have only had one LSA flight, not counting many in CUBs , Chanps, etc. and it was a brief one in a Gobosh. It was a fun little plane and nice looking. If there was one here, I'd rent it for an hour or two. As for as I could see it was nothing hard to fly, maybe a little squeirly on landing, but it you slowed it down and closed the throttle it was ok.
    From what I have seen on these forums, you would get the biggest response to an LSA topic if it was something to do with an Iphone or I pad or internet in an LSA. Just flying seems to be a less popular topic.
    Real ultrights, like powered hang gliders or parachutes seems different enough that it might be a separate topic. Again , if one was readily available for rent here I might like to try it.

The thing is, there are LSA's and LSA's. Some, for example a 2 seat Quicksilver, look and fly like a true ultralight. Others, like a Cub or T-Craft, are closer to the lighter end of traditional GA aircraft. Some are more in the middle, does that mean they need their own forum? If so where do you draw the line(s)?

There are a couple fairly active forums:

* www.sportpilottalk.com - lot of discussion on SP, Training, avionics and different LSA models.
    * http://ctflier.com/ - higher concentration of Flight Design owners/pilots but also has a few of us that don't. In depth discussion on Rotax 912 ULS, avionics, airframe and accessories which are common across similar aircraft.

S53, I tried that Sportpilot website that you gave and found it had a number of posts. But when I tried to post on a topic that I know something about, (that is Piper J3 Cub which I own and trained in as did others, ) it would not let me post a simple reply. I even tried to log in, or register with no success. It not only ask your email, etc. but a long list of personal quesitons, some of which like IAC or ISA or ISC number which I don't have or even know what that is.
    It seems they are not really looking for input from general pilots and may be trying to keep it to a small inside group. Too bad, there are some things that might be of interest.
    Maybe there is some easy way that I am missing, as I know how to fly, but am not up on all computer gizmos and terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    S53, I tried that Sportpilot website that you gave and found it had a number of posts. But when I tried to post on a topic that I know something about, (that is Piper J3 Cub which I own and trained in as did others, ) it would not let me post a simple reply. I even tried to log in, or register with no success. It not only ask your email, etc. but a long list of personal quesitons, some of which like IAC or ISA or ISC number which I don't have or even know what that is.
    It seems they are not really looking for input from general pilots and may be trying to keep it to a small inside group. Too bad, there are some things that might be of interest.
    Maybe there is some easy way that I am missing, as I know how to fly, but am not up on all computer gizmos and terms.
    Bill, those three letter things that I saw on the registration page are various types of "instant message" identifiers.. Also, they had no astricks so they aren't required anyway. It's a computer thing, so just leave those things blank.

I registered quite a while ago but I believe the only thing required is a username, email and password. The rest are either preferences or optional. Like many forums there are a lot of users (>1000) and a small number of active posters (~100). One of the active posters is a Cub owner/CFI.

I would be interested in such an LSA Forum. It would be nice to read other pilots reviews of the various LSA they have flown.