Thread: Steve Bennett - Great Plains Aircraft

Steve Bennett - Great Plains Aircraft

I just received the news that Steve Bennett passed away last Saturday. Steve was a long time proponent and seller of VW engines and components through his company, "Great Plains Aircraft". Steve sold "Great Plains" to his long time friend Marty Roberts about a year ago and retired from the business. Steve hosted EAA Webinars and was a regular vendor at Oshkosh and Sun 'N Fun.

I posted this in the Homebuilders section because Steve produced VW engines for use in Homebuilt Aircraft, and is undoubtedly familiar to anyone flying in a VW powered aircraft. Steve will be sorely missed, especially in the Amateur Built Aircraft community.

-Cub Builder

Noooooooo!

Godspeed and condolences to his family.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Such a loss. So very sad. My prayers go out to his family. When I first started flying behind a vw powered airplane, I spoke with Steve. He was a very nice man. When he sold GP I thought something was up. Not sure GP will ever be the same. We have Scott Casler at Hummel engines, but what will everyone do when people like this are gone?

R.I.P.

Tony

That's too bad, he was always very kind and helpful in our correspondence over the years.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Such a loss. So very sad. My prayers go out to his family. When I first started flying behind a vw powered airplane, I spoke with Steve. He was a very nice man. When he sold GP I thought something was up. Not sure GP will ever be the same. We have Scott Casler at Hummel engines, but what will everyone do when people like this are gone?

R.I.P.

Tony
    I should probably mention that Marty Roberts (new owner of Great Plains) was a good friend of Steve's for probably over 35 years. They both built some of the early KRs and both flew behind VWs for many years. Marty did not just decide to buy Great Plains because he needed another business venture. He has known the company and been a good friend of Steve's since it's inception many decades ago. Great Planes should be in good hands with Marty.

I had a number interactions with Steve and bought some parts from him. I can't say everything always worked out, but I can say that Steve was always friendly, fair and made a reasonable effort to make things right. Steve and Linda were/are good people. His passing is a loss to the amateur built aircraft community.

-Cub Builder