Thread: Your Best Guess?

Your Best Guess?

For all of you experienced homebuilders:

Let's say that I were to acquire a GlaStar kit (one that contains all standard parts and components that originally were included in the kits - no missing parts). Let's say that it included no instruments or avionics, and nothing firewall-firewall forward. Just a bare-bones GlaStar kit.

And let's say that I wished to finish that kit as a plain-Jane, basic VFR airplane; no frills, no extras. And with a serviceable (not runout, but not freshly overhauled) Lyc 0-320.

Best guesses as to the dollars required to turn that basic kit into a finished, flying airplane? (Not including the cost of acquiring the kit.)

Thanks in advance for your educated guesswork!

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by ccd View Post

Let's say that I were to acquire a GlaStar kit (one that contains all standard parts and components that originally were included in the kits - no missing parts). Let's say that it included no instruments or avionics, and nothing firewall-firewall forward. Just a bare-bones GlaStar kit.

And let's say that I wished to finish that kit as a plain-Jane, basic VFR airplane; no frills, no extras. And with a serviceable (not runout, but not freshly overhauled) Lyc 0-320.

Best guesses as to the dollars required to turn that basic kit into a finished, flying airplane? (Not including the cost of acquiring the kit.)

$44,000, less the cost of purchasing the kit.

See https://www.barnstormers.com/cat.php?mode=search

BJC

For a minimalist airplane (Day VFR, no ADS-B, fixed pitch prop), you could scrounge and maybe do it for $35k. I figure $20k for the FWF items, $10k for the panel/comm gear, and $5k for DIY paint and other misc items.

Thanks for your responses, guys. Very helpful!

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by ccd View Post

My "educated guess" also is that there is no such thing as an old kitplane project that has no missing parts. Note that they usually are delivered from the factory with missing parts, or sub kits that were not included in the original order.

BJC