Thread: Pre-Solo Checkout -Checkout-Check-Check?

Pre-Solo Checkout -Checkout-Check-Check?

Looking for a heads up in case I missed something here.
    I have been told at the flight school I am using that after passing a proficiency check ride (by a CFI other than my regular guy, I'm qualifying under Part 61 Light Sport) I must "pass " an 1 1/2 to 2 hr interview with the flight school owner to his standards before I will be cleared to solo. The owner is not a CFI, and I can find no Part 61 Light Sport regs where this shows up as an additional solo flight prerequisite.
    I'm also assuming that I will be charged for this Required Unit" and have to figure it cannot be logged as ground training(?) as that requirement is covered; I have passed my written exam within the past 90 days,I saw no mention of this in the school syllabus, and completed a full 5 page written ground review check list as well as my pre-solo written to my CFI's satisfaction.
    Maybe I'm missing something but I'm stumped and more confused than usual.
    Thanks,
    jpop

You are not missing anything, this is purely a function of your flight school. You are also correct, this cannot count as ground training unless conducted by a ground (yes there is such a thing) or flight instructor. Since this was not in the school syllabus, is definitely not in the FARs, and you've passed the written plus other school requirements, I would put this under the heading of "cash grab".

Thanks for the back up Kurt. That MO really doesn't fit the whole vibe on the place but the idea that that behavior is still viable, it's kind of a shame, huh? ...and totally un-necessary when you get right down to it. I'm right in the demographic wheel-house of what an LSA oriented program would like to have its schedule full of.
    Let's hope I'm wrong; some in house grilling would be good practice for my orals and reasonable enough a request to let me fly their airplane, but I'm not ponying up for extra strokin' the FAA regs don't call for me to have and a solo go- no go decision in the balance or delayed for more training as the result of a ground interview on a specific aircraft.
    Could turn out to be the most expensive $100 bucks earned in history.

It's not a legal requirement, but if the guy owns the plane he can set whatever rules he wants. Or it may be required by his insurance. Most FBOs require some sort of "rental checkout" with one of their pilots before they let you take an airplane, even if you have thousands of hours.

Yeah, it could purely be that the owner is tired of people breaking his stuff..
    Last edited by 67jwbruce; 10-23-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Wink Well, Horse on me boys!

Had my big oral exam with the owner today- you know the 1.5-2 hr grilling I was in for?- called in right after my lesson.
    Turns out it was about maybe a 20 mins conversation about my flying in general, emergency & SOP's, and about how I felt about my learning experience so far;
    Then I was told "Great, go fly- and don't forget this is about fun too!", got a handshake and left the office..
    where I was greeted by 3 guys laughing their respective boney CFI assets off.
    I guess it never fails, students look like their going to drop a calf in the office when this "special in- house requirement" is dropped on 'em, and these dudes just love every minute of it.
    So now I'm one of the co-conspirators and I have to tell you, a lot more relaxed and ready for my solo than I was yesterday and I found my fun gear again
    Pretty good one I got-got check-checked alright!