Thread: C120/140 skylight upholstry

C120/140 skylight upholstry

I am trying to figure the best way to attach the vinyl headliner fabric to the Cessna 120/140 skylight window retainer frames. The C120/140 parts manual indicates a p/n 0413181 "clip - upholstery", but gives no clear picture of a clip. The clip p/n is no where to be found on the internet. Anyone know the standard or preferred trick ?

Eric,

I just finished installing a headliner in my Cessna 140; here's the answer to your question. The stock skylight retainer frames have a formed "lip" all the way around the periphery of the skylight. To use that feature, it is necessary to build an .016" or .020" sheet aluminum piece that will "snap" behind the formed lip on each skylight frame. Then, those pieces are glued to the inside surface of the headliner fabric in the correct positions, the headliner fabric is cut out and folded around the inside of the aluminum pieces, and the fabric/aluminum piece sandwich is snapped into place around each skylight frame. The dimensions of the cutout in the aluminum pieces are fairly critical--too small and it won't snap in place; too big and it won't stay. And, you have to allow for the thickness of the headliner fabric. The fore/aft and side/side locations of the aluminum pieces are also critical. I'd suggest a couple of things: 1) join the Cessna 120/140 Association (http://cessna120-140.org/)--it's a great resource--and 2) buy Lorraine Morris' C140 headliner installation video (http://www.skywardmedia.com/catalog.htm). Of course, if your airplane does not have the stock skylight retainer frames, you are on your own! Good luck!

Michael;

Thanks for the info. My project is actually a C150B in which I installed C120/140 skylights under a field approval using standard C120/140 window retainer frames. I had Airtex make a standard C150B headliner leaving an open area for me to cut out the skylight openings. They wouldn't cut the openings. After reading your suggestions, I stared at windows for half an hour. I came up with something similar. I took a scrap piece of my headliner material and inserted it into the formed lip using a dull putty knife. I then inserted a piece of #18 mil spec'd aviation electrical wire into the formed lip over the headliner material, which acted as a "snap in retainer". It holds very well. For longevity, one could apply some glue before inserting the material into the lip. I have only tried this on small pieces of material (4" length). I will try this on the full headliner in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the retainer frame lip openings are even all the way around.
    Last edited by Eric Brown; 10-28-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Terrific

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Michael;

Thanks for the info. My project is actually a C150B in which I installed C120/140 skylights under a field approval using standard C120/140 window retainer frames. I had Airtex make a standard C150B headliner leaving an open area for me to cut out the skylight openings. They wouldn't cut the openings. After reading your suggestions, I stared at windows for half an hour. I came up with something similar. I took a scrap piece of my headliner material and inserted it into the formed lip using a dull putty knife. I then inserted a piece of #18 mil spec'd aviation electrical wire into the formed lip over the headliner material, which acted as a "snap in retainer". It holds very well. For longevity, one could apply some glue before inserting the material into the lip. I have only tried this on small pieces of material (4" length). I will try this on the full headliner in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the retainer frame lip openings are even all the way around.
    That sounds like an excellent idea. It's been about 5 years, I'm wonderin if you're still a member, and if so, does it continue to hold.

Thanks...

I finally got the airplane in the air this July. It's still holding.

Skylights field approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    I finally got the airplane in the air this July. It's still holding.
    Hi Eric. i found this form and im actually doing the same thing. I have 150M. I was wondering if you would sell me a copy of your 337 so i am able to use that data to get a field approval to install mine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bmrstunter600 View Post
    Hi Eric. i found this form and im actually doing the same thing. I have 150M. I was wondering if you would sell me a copy of your 337 so i am able to use that data to get a field approval to install mine as well.

I commented to your 4-18-2020 post. The C150B did not have the skylight option which made a field approval necessary. The C150M has the option. Go for it !!

Thanks Eric! Really appreciate the help.