Thread: B 17, P 51 at Winchester VA 10-14-15, were you there?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

B 17, P 51 at Winchester VA 10-14-15, were you there?

Wings of freedom tour I believe it was called. They have departed Winchester, flown to Stafford now. But there was B 17 Nine-O-Nine (Collings Foundation) , a P51 Mustang, and they had expected a B24, but the 24 did not show as it had mechanical issues. But it was still great to see the two. I did fly in the 17.

Configured differently inside, it is more difficult to move around inside Nine-O-Nine than it is in Aluminum Overcast. I really liked sticking my head out the top window at 140 MPH, something I couldnt do on AO. Not to say anything negative about Nine-O-Nine, but EAA does it better with Aluminum Overcast.

The pilot had us turn the motors by hand, to put some oil onto the cylinders. Is that standard procedure? I believe the plane could'nt have been parked longer than a day or two. It seemed like overkill to me, but I am no expert.

I would've liked to ride the Mustang, but someone said it was $2200.00, flight time, I dont know. I did the $450.00 1/2 hour in the 17. The blue ridge mountains are beautiful this time of year from 2500'.

Edit: There was a retired Army man there in a 36? Packard sedan, it made for a nice retro photo shoot. I wonder who he was? Just wondered if anyone from here was there? The Mustang went by real low and fast, man what a sound!
    Last edited by Glider-Rider; 10-16-2015 at 11:26 AM.