Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATP getting qualed in a LSA

ATP getting qualed in a LSA

Anybody know the protocol for an ATP/airline guy getting checked out in an LSA? My situation is that am a 16K+ hour pilot, but out on a medical. ATP and medical still valid. My neighbor, who knows I'm going crazy not being able to fly, said that I could fly his LSA (SportStar SE) anytime I wanted to - just sweep out the hangar every now and then, and fill the tanks back up after I'm done flying. Yea, I know - the man is an absolute prince for making such a generous offer.

Everything I've read in the FAR/AIM is all about becoming a Sport Pilot, but I haven't run across anything that tells what you what you need to legally fly it solo if you are already a rated pilot. Logbook endorsement from a CFI, perhaps? I plan on getting a flight or two with a CFI who is familiar with LSA's, but I want to make sure that I am doing things right, not just for my own comfort and safety, but also for my neighbor's peace of mind (and quite possibly for insurance purposes as well).

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

No special qualifications/checkout required to fly the LSA. It's just that you no longer need a medical.

However, the final authority on this will be the insurance company. You'll need to comply with their requirements.

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks for your response. BTW, I have read the page of our "existing pilots becoming sport pilots" website. Very difficult time right now since I probably will be unable to return to the cockpit, but thank God for the LSA and Sport Pilot Certificate!

Ron's right, just follow the same procedures you'd use to get checked out in a citabra, baron, cruise master, sky catcher, and so on and so forth... The special airspace signoffs that apply to sport pilot certificates don't apply to you either. ... Well, as long as you already hold single engine land airplane ...

Welcome to the LSA world. It's a great niche of aviation!
    Take your time with transition training.
    Most LSA incidents occur with experienced pilots transitioning to that "simple little plane".
    The SportStar is a good plane but it will float forever unless you nail the airspeed on landing.
    Also take time to get to know the Rotax motor and care... "burping" the motor, etc.
    Great motor if well taken care of, but quite different than Continental or Lycoming.
    Check out SportPilotTalk.com, great bunch there always willing to share experience and adventures.
    Enjoy 100kts cruise on 5 gallons per hour, MOGAS preferred!

I have a friend that made same offer with his Tecnam. Insurance required a 6 hour check out in it. Took me longer than I thought. That plane loves to be kept on the numbers in the POH, with very little variation. Also getting used to an engine running at 4000 RPM + (Rotax) took some getting used to. Not like your typical Piper.

Bill l

Thanks everybody for all the replies! Have had my first flight in the SportStar. Wonderful airplane! Have had my first horrible landing from the right seat (during my familiarization flight). Flared too high, carryied too much power, floated down the runway. Finally got her down and then promptly locked up both wheel brakes on the rollout. Thought for sure I had squared off both mains, but luckily no flat spots. Looked over at the Milt, the owner, and said "well, how do you like me so far?!" Very humbling, but very VERY fun. Yes, an extra 10 knots in an LSA is very different than an extra 10 knots in a B737.

Going to go up with an instructor and get properly trained and checked out. Found out later that the owner's insurance requires a logbook sign-off anyways. Plane is currently going through some routine maintenance, and I'm using the time to learn everything about it, sweep and mop out the hangar, and make sure the fridge is full of beer, water, and sodas. Have an instructor already lined up, so hopefully will be getting airborne sometime next week. Looking forward to the fun and challenge of it all. Feel as excited as I did when I was first learning to fly!

Question about the ROTAX 912: when burping the engine, I've been rotating it in the normal direction of rotation, but the owner says to do it in the opposite direction. There is nothing at all about burping the engine in the flight ops manual. Any thoughts?

Looking forward to attending my first EAA Chapter 1279 meeting. The organization sure seems like a great group of people, one that I am proud to be a part of.

You need to have at least five stripes on your epaulettes to be qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmartin737 View Post
    ...but the owner says to do it in the opposite direction. There is nothing at all about burping the engine in the flight ops manual. Any thoughts?...

NO NO NO NO NO not acceptable. I don't mean the part about which way to rotate the engine, the part about taking anybody's word for anything without checking with the factory first. There is little excuse for saying "it's not in the manual" with a Rotax.

http://www.rotax-owner.com/en/suppor...engine-manuals

(edit) PLEASE (end edit) Read and comply with Para 3.3 on page 3-6

http://docusearch.flyrotax.com/files/pdf/d05875.pdf

Have a blast!
    Last edited by Mike M; 10-21-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Yep, he's doing it wrong - prop always turns the same way.

Always, always double check the magneto switch and be prepared even when it's off for a start.

Thank you for doing proper transition training to an LSA aircraft! Too many of our fellow pilots failed to do so and paid too high a price for it. We tend to think about transition training to larger aircraft and forget it works both ways.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.