Thread: AERONCA drwg. 1-2261/ Return SPring

AERONCA drwg. 1-2261/ Return SPring

I would like to get the drawing identified in the title if possible. This part is simply the extension spring which returns the lever arm on the Goodyear Brake Assembly to the neutral position after heel brake pressure has been released. It is clearly identified in the 11AC Chief service manual and I think it is used on the Champ series as well. It is not available from the Museum and I have asked in the type club forums as well. Your assistance is appreciated.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by EDGEFLY View Post
    I would like to get the drawing identified in the title if possible. This part is simply the extension spring which returns the lever arm on the Goodyear Brake Assembly to the neutral position after heel brake pressure has been released. It is clearly identified in the 11AC Chief service manual and I think it is used on the Champ series as well. It is not available from the Museum and I have asked in the type club forums as well. Your assistance is appreciated.

Dale
    Could you not obtain the actual spring and make a drawing by reverse engineering?

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Could you not obtain the actual spring and make a drawing by reverse engineering?
    Yes, of course I could. The first problem being obtaining an original part. If this were real easy, I would procure the parts and finish the work on my brakes. If you can help with that, I'll be happy to make the drwg and provide it to AERONCA users so that this problem doesn't exist.

Dale

Sounds like a chicken/egg scenario. What information do you hope to gain from the drawing?

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Sounds like a chicken/egg scenario. What information do you hope to gain from the drawing?
    Well, after a lot of contact with some venerable parties in the AERONCA community, I have found that the spring drawing I was seeking may have been obsoleted and replaced with a different type. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a specific record proving this. So I was able to obtain some approximate dimensions for the overall length, coil diameter and wire gage used in the original part. Further, I have been able to obtain the parts from a hardware vendor over the Internet. After installation and test, I will prepare a drawing for my records and logs. It will be available to anyone working this problem but only as my "Shade-tree" solution not as an AERONCA part description. It will reflect that S/N's 115 and greater of 11AC's MAY have been manufactured with a different part.

Quote Originally Posted by EDGEFLY View Post
    Well, after a lot of contact with some venerable parties in the AERONCA community, I have found that the spring drawing I was seeking may have been obsoleted and replaced with a different type. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a specific record proving this.
    I figured we would get here eventually. This was common during production of planes from the post war period and with some Beechcraft products continued for many years after. Run out of a vendor supplied part and just replace it with something else that works. No changes in design information. Using the spring example, sometimes the drawing/part list calls out for "return spring" and no specific information. Just use what works. Sometimes its counterproductive to try and make extensive records/docs. The FAA gets excited about that.