Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Special Issuance Disqualifiers

Quote Originally Posted by C150L View Post
    I'm curious as to why these 2 incapacitated pilots comes to indicate say goodbye to POBR2?

These 2 commercial pilots do 6 month medicals (IIRC) and one passes out and the other departs the world abruptly. Indicates to me, the medical process has little to do with guaranteeing someone is going to make it for even 6 months, let alone 2 years.

Or was there some other more reasonable conclusion than mine in mind?
    C150L....I agree with your thinking that it shouldn't mean the death of PBOR2 but the incident(s) are going to have a lot of people getting squirmy (the original version, not the recently watered-down 2nd version). It should actually PROVE that no matter how strict medicals are it is pure folly to think that they can predict a pilots incapacitation with any accuracy.

I recently tried jumping through the hoops but a 35 year old "history" that has gone without treatment or causing problems for me is a hoop I just can't jump through. I'm out $3000+ and have nothing, and without a miracle I probably never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    I'm probably wrong as I admitted in a related thread, but suspect that any attempt to relax medical standards for any airman certificate will meet increased resistance in Congress due to these incidents. If folks getting 2 exams a year have problems, how will an elected official explain to concerned constituents a vote for fewer requirements? Remembering of course that statistical accuracy and common sense play very little part in the election process, as evidenced by the results of that process.
    Thanks for the reply Mike. I now see where you were going with that and agree 110% on that last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post

I recently tried jumping through the hoops but a 35 year old "history" that has gone without treatment or causing problems for me is a hoop I just can't jump through. I'm out $3000+ and have nothing, and without a miracle I probably never will.
    Boy, done that hoop jumping myself. Not knowing your "history", as someone told me, I was not fighting a medical issue. I was fighting a govt "red tape" issue. FAA has thousands of medicals rolling through there, what, monthly? Most are cut and dry and probably head to the file cabinet with no one even looking and right into their folders. Then there are those of us that are not standard. Someone has to read it and make a decision. yes, maybe or no. If maybe, then you spend k$ to make your case, then someone else(?) has to read it and decide yes or no. If wanting to say yes, then they ask themselves, do I want to stomp on the person that said no in the first place? Ack, just say no and file it in this guys red folder. I'm just guessing how it actually comes down, but just my thought on how it might work.