Thread: Balancing my Propeller and what I modified to do it

Balancing my Propeller and what I modified to do it

I sent my prop off to have some repairs. I got it back and she was not in balance. I called the guy who use to be in Tennessee to asked him about this. He assured me the prop was in balance. I knew better and proved him wrong. I will never again deal with this company for a prop.

Don't you just love it when someone tells you something and you know they are wrong. But they insist they are right. I love proving these people wrong.

Tony

How many coats did it take to balance her out?

It took three coats. I had to let it dry between each coat. After drying the third coat it was balanced. I did let each coat dry about 8 hrs before applying the next coat. Doing this made a big difference.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 11-17-2015 at 01:09 PM.

I wrote a short article for Kitplanes magazine about a year ago on using the Harbor Freight static wheel balancer for prop balancing. Glad to see someone adapt the idea.
    It works better with light props/wood and comes close to dynamic balance when prop weighs less than 10 lbs. I've used the balancer on tires and props with good results.
    Only problem is making an adapter so shaft can pass thru prop and attach to shaft.
    Bob H

Same principle to the prop balancer my dad was making for r/c props.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
    I wrote a short article for Kitplanes magazine about a year ago on using the Harbor Freight static wheel balancer for prop balancing. Glad to see someone adapt the idea.
    It works better with light props/wood and comes close to dynamic balance when prop weighs less than 10 lbs. I've used the balancer on tires and props with good results.
    Only problem is making an adapter so shaft can pass thru prop and attach to shaft.
    Bob H
    yeah, i saw that article. had never thought to try it that way. i adapted a bubble balancer i bought years ago for car wheels&tires. your way is easier.

I never saw the article on this. I found this balancer by doing a search on the net on what was out there already for balancers. When I saw this one I knew it could be made to work with a little modifications. Its cheap enough that everyone could own one of these.

Tony

The EAA should use this for balancing props and throw that buzz master thing in the trash. I am not saying it don't work. But it's not the simplest way to do this. Plus you must order that. Most can get this locally from Harbor Freight. IMHO using this little tool is way easier then the method shown on EAA's website.

Bob H post that articale you wrote. I would like to see how you do this. The biggest issue I found when making this, you want both those 2x4 cut to the exact same length. Have one off by just a few mm and the prop will walk as it spins. Also the longer the 2x4 the more they move. It should all be mounted solid on a big base and then steel or aluminum used and not wood. But this was the fastest way to do this at the time.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 10-24-2016 at 07:36 AM.

Prop balancing article was in Feb 2015 issue of Kitplanes magazine. I used a Harbor Freight static wheel balancer which works well for a 2-blade prop. You would have to make a fitting to allow prop to attach accurately to 1/2" dia balancing shaft. Balancing is done by spraying backside of light prop blade with spar varnish.

The only thing I needed to modify was the stand itself. I used all other parts out of the box. Works great and I have now used it a few times on other props.