Thread: American Optical Company Aviation goggles

American Optical Company Aviation goggles

I recently found an old pair of my grandfather's aviation goggles. I know he was not in the Army in World War 2 and serve under General Patton in Europe. The goggles are listed as being American Optical Company Aviation Goggles A36, model-transport, Lens-clear. i have the original cardboard box, metal case, instruction manual, along with everything you see in the pictures. I am just trying to find out more about these and have come up with nothing on internet searches. Can you tell me anything about them? Are they worth anything?
    Attached Images Attached Images            

Quote Originally Posted by jsmythe View Post
    I recently found an old pair of my grandfather's aviation goggles. I know he was not in the Army in World War 2 and serve under General Patton in Europe. The goggles are listed as being American Optical Company Aviation Goggles A36, model-transport, Lens-clear. i have the original cardboard box, metal case, instruction manual, along with everything you see in the pictures. I am just trying to find out more about these and have come up with nothing on internet searches. Can you tell me anything about them? Are they worth anything?
    My guess is that these are not military-issue goggles. The label doesn't show a specification number, like these examples of American Optical goggles:

In addition, the metal carrying case is a somewhat unusual item; a Government contract is usually pared to the bone, and I don't think they'd include the case. Finally, your goggles have the separate metal wings logo on the bridge....again, a "frippery" that the Government acquisition folks wouldn't be likely to authorize. Note the sample above has the wings molded into the hinge; something they could get away with easier.

I'd guess your goggles were high-end civilian goggles. From your description, your grandfather wasn't an aviator. Tank crewmen wore goggles due to the dust, but like aviators, they'd be issued goggles.

My guess is your grandfather had a situation where he needed goggles, and bought a pair of his own. He may have been a driver. Jeeps were usually driven with the front windshield folded down, and drivers often wore goggles. But I don't know if they'd issue goggles in that case.

Value? You can check the prices of WWII aviator goggles; I was seeing prices around $100-$200. But yours, being a civilian model in a bunch of military ones, may be rarer. That may make them more valuable; it may make them LESS since there's probably less of a demand.

Sounds like the company is still in business, I'd check with them:

http://www.aoeyewear.com/index.html

Ron Wanttaja

Motorcyclists. Could also be military motorcyclists. Military police, couriers, some recon units.
    Yes the Army issues equipment. Soldiers have always also bought their own when they could and didn't like what the Army gave them.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com