Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ADSB in for less?

Guys,
    i just wanted to say I think this is the coolest. We need more stuff like this.
    rick

I posted this on Avare forums, too, but some folks here don't use that one.

I bought the Raspberry Pi kit on Amazon because the OTG won't work on my Galaxy Tab2 since the latest Android update it ate. Thanks, Samsung. Downloaded the latest stable software image (the green boxed one) from the github/cyoung page. Followed directions, learned how to burn an image, and it works in the RPi! Thanks, cyoung!

Lessons learned so far: 1. The powered USB hub in my plane limits current to 1amp on one port, .5amp each to 2 ports. Info from other users & pubs indicated 1amp enough for RPi. It's not here, the WiFi wouldn't broadcast. Rewired so have 2amps at one port, that's enough. 2. Avare io app defaults to bluetooth mode so must switch it to wifi on startup and I don't know how to do that automatically. But I did know enough to link it to the Stratux wifi, not the house wifi! 3. Although the io app shows proper operation and all the RPi and SDR lights are solid, and the proper preferences are selected in Avare, I show no wx info and no traffic info in flight 2500msl 30nm north of KTPA. Yes, nexrad as reported by local tv station was painting precip around the area. 4. The kit antenna had a magnet in the base. I stuck it to the case, unit on glare shield. After flight the stickygoo holding the magnet into the base had let go, antenna was just a-sett'n there. Tossed magnet, hotglued velcro to bottom to latch onto fuzzy carpet atop glare shield. 5. I am not competent to figg'r why Avare isn't displaying ads-b wx on my tablet or my phone. Bet somebody is.
    Last edited by Mike M; 09-24-2015 at 05:46 AM.

See this thread on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/com...go_and_avare/?. Looks like Avare requires an additional app to work. By the way, for technical questions you may have more luck at https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux. The developer and several very tech savvy users are on there.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Lessons learned addendum....6. Use a quality power cord, some old phone cords in a junk drawer might not carry enough current. 7. Try changing map scale and see what shows up.

IT WORKS. Thanks, folks.

Ok, I am an old techie suffering from the effects of Moore's law. (It has been long enough that I now know nothing) - So I am asking for help from those more "in the loop". This is my first Raspberry Pi build. Am I supposed to install the Raspberry Pi Operating system to the SD card first then the image file for Stratux or format the SD card and only install the Stratux (img file)? What about the other files on the download site (e.g. the source code etc.). Thanks,

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by danielfindling View Post
    Ok, I am an old techie suffering from the effects of Moore's law. (It has been long enough that I now know nothing) - So I am asking for help from those more "in the loop". This is my first Raspberry Pi build. Am I supposed to install the Raspberry Pi Operating system to the SD card first then the image file for Stratux or format the SD card and only install the Stratux (img file)? What about the other files on the download site (e.g. the source code etc.). Thanks,

Daniel
    Daniel, I found Chris Young's list of "builds" page. Downloaded the green-tagged one to my windows vista laptop. Formatted an 8gb micro sd card. Used the free imager program that was recommended to "burn" the .img file to the sd card. Review the instructions on the EAA and reddit pages. They were all I knew when I did it. I don't understand it all but followed directions and it works.