Thread: NAV/COM to IC SWITCHING

NAV/COM to IC SWITCHING

I have two handhelds and an intercom which I use in an aircraft that does not have an electric system. All of the components work well with each other except that I have no way of switching the IC connections from one radio to another except for transfer of cables. This should be the simplest of problems except that I have been unable not to identify a switch part which will handle the two conductor EAR and three conductor MIC outputs of the IC with single actuation manual operation. The audio quality of the signals when cabled is fine. Thus no requirement for amplifiers/filters/sharing circuits etc. such as found in typical NAV/COM PANELS. Has anyone here solved this problem ? Any suggestions appreciated.

Because most don't do it with a single switch. They use one switch (SPST) for each headphone output and then one switch (SPDT) to switch which microphone is keyed. It helps to know what those lines are. On the headphones they're 600 ohm typically unbalanced with one side (sleeve) typically grounded. The microphone emulates an old telephone carbon mike with the sleeve being common (ground), the ring being the mic audio, and the tip being PTT. This is for the traditional headset/handmic plugs. Your handheld comms will have their own plug (typically a four conductor miniture that has both the mic and headset of these together).

Thanks Ron,
    In fact, I have found that both of ny handhelds utilize a 5 conductor two cable input as does my Intercom unit. Therefor I did need a 5PDT switch to put into effect my desired capability. Upon searching for parts, I found that 6PDT switches are relatively common and that simply not wiring in one Pole/Throw will handle my needs easily. Haven't done this yet but will soon and will report the operational results here once I do. Thanks for your response.

Dale

I give up. Why don't you just unplug the intercom from one radio and plug it into the other if you're going to do it that way.

2 Radios into a single channel ICS

This is how I ran 2 radios into 1 ICS port.... PS Engineering PM 1200

We have a 28 Volt system, you will need to change to a 12 Volt relay. The diode may be superfluous for your installation. I used it just to be safe as there is 28 Volts at the top
    of the relay when it is in the unenergized condition.

The switch is a momentary (ON) OFF (ON) Up is radio 1 and down is radio 2.
    Both audio outputs are coupled in through a capacitor; this way I hear both radios. Comm 1
    is a Garmin 430 usually tuned to ATC, Comm2 is an ARC-182 set to 123.45 for communications
    with Dash-2, the L-39C.

I used a MILSPEC relay. M83536/16-022M. Use any 4PDT you like. Note: the relay I used
    has internal suppression diodes. You will need a supression diode if you use a relay without an internal diode. (For the faint of heart it is $188.46 at Digikey. The mount is extra).

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by weiskopf20@gmail.com; 08-25-2015 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added the relay part number