Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: AirVenture Webcams!

Send the Brats and Beer to Todd and Paul in Paul's Woods...they would surely appreciate it!

Webcams are great but tonight there is no video for the Theater in the Woods. What's happened?

Walt B

The central webcam seems to be out of action. Will not load. All others are fine

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Rumor has it the power brick burned out last night - they're working on it ...

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I'm imagining a cinder block with an electrical cord sticking out of it in my mind's eye right now.

you are correct Hal, the AC/DC powersupply on the encoder toasted. I have another one on the way from Milwaukee, should be here this afternoon.

I was trying to watch the airshow on my laptop yesterday, as I was unable to attend Airventure this year. Whoever was running the airshow camera could not keep it on the performance. They kept looking down into a white roof, into Conoco Phillips square. When they had it on the performer they would zoom out so far you could hardly see the performer. It also appeared they were constantly playing with either lenses or moving something in front of the lens. I was very disappointed and turned it off.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross440 View Post
    I was trying to watch the airshow on my laptop yesterday, as I was unable to attend Airventure this year. Whoever was running the airshow camera could not keep it on the performance. They kept looking down into a white roof, into Conoco Phillips square. When they had it on the performer they would zoom out so far you could hardly see the performer. It also appeared they were constantly playing with either lenses or moving something in front of the lens. I was very disappointed and turned it off.
    I really think you are unreasonably expecting too much from the Webcam, and their operators.
    Remember, theses are Volunteers, working under difficult circumstances, and are not professional camermen (I assume).

It is exteremly difficult to follow fast moving aircarft, and very high zoom levels, when perches up on top of a tower, being blow around in the wind and rain.

I really do not expect an edited "production". It is what it is -- a glimpse of what Oshkosh is all about.
    If you want to see it in it's full glory, then come visit Oshkosh.
    ( Bring your Video camera with you, and see if you do any better !!! )

I think the Guy(s)/Girl(s) operating the Airshow Webcam, do a great job. Some of the shots they get, at high zoom, are amazing. I also suspect it is not your everyday Mini-camcorder -- probably a semi-pro Cannon ? - Holding that camera up, and trying to maintain a tight frame at high zoom, on a fast moving target, is EXHAUSTING. Occasionally, maybe they need to rest for a few minutes. I also suspect their skills will improve during the week with practice.

So yes, it's not what you might expect when watching DISCOVERY CHANNEL, but it does allow you to share and expereince what is happening at Oshkosh in the comfort of your air-conditioning, and it's FREE.

I say "WELL DONE" to all those that have worked so hard to bring Oshkosh into our homes. Thank you all.

Geoff

Thanks for all the hard work on the webcams and audio feeds - my second monitor at work appreciates it!

My flying/training adventures:
    amileofrunway.blogspot.com

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

Thats a LOT of open widows

Its a shame there is not an EAA webpage that shows all the cams and the liveatc Radios, on the same page.
    This would seem to be what a lot of viewers are trying to achieve.

ie

Name:  kosh-cams1.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  12.9 KB