Thread: The Road to A&P

The Road to A&P

Hi,

I'm looking into getting my A&P license. I see a couple options on getting it. Option 1 would be to go to a two year technical college, like Fox Valley, and graduate with an associate's degree. Option 2 would be to take a quick 15 day course and get certified to work on light sport aircraft and work infield for 30 months and qualify to take the A&P test. This would probably be through Rainbow Aviation in California. Option 2 would allow me to make money as I work towards an A&P.

Does anyone have some experience or advice for me? Why I might want to go one route vs the other? I know with FVTC I can spend an extra year there and tack on Avionics.

Thanks,
    Falcon21

- Purely my opinion based on others I know: Option 1, the 2-year tech college, will be easier. The structured program will teach you what you need to know, prepare you for the tests, expose you to all the experience areas you will need, and get you an Associate Degree. If you can, do the 2-year formal program. I know very few who have been successful through the field experience option. It can be done, but it is difficult and will most likely take much longer than you think.
    - The 15-day quick course will not give you everything you need to be fully competent and successful and the LSA maintenance market is very limited. Unless you have a prospective employer lined up who will mentor you and keep you working, it will be difficult to earn a living just on LSAs and difficult to gain the experience you will need to obtain your A&P. It will also take hard work and discipline to fill all the squares and learn it in the field.
    - If you can afford it, why not do both options? Take the 15-day LSA course and immediately follow it with the 2-year college program. You'll have the LSA Repairman certificate and training on the Rotax 4-stroke that make you valuable to a prospective employer. Most aircraft maintenance businesses have no one with Rotax experience. You can work part time in a real shop, gaining real experience while going to school. The work experience compliments the school and the school compliments the work.
    - Good luck and whatever way you decide, go for it! We need more aviation maintenance professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    - Purely my opinion based on others I know: Option 1, the 2-year tech college, will be easier.
    I'll second dusterpilot - The 2-yr tech college is the best option in the long run. I did my A&P at a tech college while working a full time job so there is still the option to make money while you earn your A&P.

If you have an employer/job lined up wrenching on airplanes, that will work. My nephew started as a line boy/step & fetch-it. His employer paid for extra training along with the experience and he got his A&P in a few years all the while earing a decent living. He now has IA.

This is only viable IMO if a shop large/busy enough with varied aircraft for you to get good experience along with good A&P/IA's working with you.

Bottom line, you need a job w/right employer. You may indeed be very lucky to find such a place. Otherwise, go to school.

Jack

BTW. I had the experience, sign-off and passed the tests 40 years ago but got a guv-mut job and never got the ratings... Now I keep building and "repairing".

Quote Originally Posted by Spezioman View Post
    I had the experience, sign-off and passed the tests 40 years ago but got a guv-mut job and never got the ratings... Now I keep building and "repairing".
    The tests expire but the experience doesn't. You can always brush up retake the test as well as the oral and practical and get your A&P. Never too late.

I would strongly encourage you to take the Part 147 route at a school that offers a two year degree. There are very few light sport aircraft out there and even fewer shops that specialize in LSA MX. The civil experience route is by far the most difficult method and the least likely to result in you getting an A&P. I did mine via civil experience and it is not easy and neither was getting a sign off from the FAA.

****ALSO, BE ADVISED***** Effective Oct 1, 2015 the FAA is changing the way A&P oral and practical tests will be given. The new tests will be completely computer generated using a random set of tasks. Due to the significant amount of equipment required to conduct the random tests using this new approach, this may have the side effect of forcing independent DME (examiners) out. For the few independent examiners left, this also may result in significantly higher fees and tests in the 3 - 4 day range! Other than test duration this change may have very little impact on Part 147 schools. So, get your A&P testing done soon or go to a Part 147 school....