Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rule that covers who can perform maintenance on an expiremental

During the inspection both the A+P and the builder mentioned to me that I would need to have an A+P or the builder address the issues.
    Well, there's a bit of truth in that - that A&P in particular may not hand out his green stamp of approval on a Condition Inspection for repairs not completed by another A&P or the guy with the repairman's certificate.

A&P's are like barbers and plumbers.....everybody's always looking for a good one they can trust.

LOL, I was talking to a young A&P a few weeks ago that told me welding isn't allowed on fuselages, which is why no aircraft have them made that way. Apparently they didn't cover things like the Aeronica series of aircraft in school....and he started chuckling when he realized how wrong his instructor was.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 12-15-2015 at 11:46 PM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

As a practical matter, I have made major modifications to my E-AB aircraft numerous times. I just call FSDO when I'm done and ask to speak to an airworthiness inspector. They will ask me to write up the modifications and email them a copy, then will assign me some phase 1 test time, usually 5 hours. I have one aircraft with the old operating limitations, and one with the newer operating limitations. Every time I talk to them, they offer to swap out the old operating limitations for the new ones, but it takes them a 2 week turn around, during which time my plane would be grounded. I'll do it one of these days when I plan to ground my plane for a while.

-Cub Builder

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Well, there's a bit of truth in that - that A&P in particular may not hand out his green stamp of approval on a Condition Inspection for repairs not completed by another A&P or the guy with the repairman's certificate.
    You've lost me. Even in the case of an annual on a certificated plane there's no requirement that the inspecting mechanic has any control over the repair of discrepancies. It's even conceivable with some things like "you need new tires" or "you've got a bulb out" that the owner-pilot could return the aircraft to service afterward.

With older aircraft (Aeroncas, Cubs, Taylorcraft and the like) it does get down to finding someone who has experience with tube and fabric. I'm quite sure it's not taught to any extent in A & P any longer.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Ron, my point is that there is no requirement for an A&P to perform any type of inspection at all, and a particular fellow may say he won't sign off on a Condition Inspection if either an A&P or the Repairman has done the work.

He won't be right by the regs, but some folks are fussy.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by cub builder View Post
    ... Every time I talk to them, they offer to swap out the old operating limitations for the new ones, but it takes them a 2 week turn around, during which time my plane would be grounded.... -Cub Builder
    The Arizona FSDO in Scottsdale was able to instruct me in what paperwork to carry in so new EAB ops limits could be issued and carried out same day. I followed instructions, they fulfilled promise. Took less than 1/2 hour in their office and that included free coffee. But it was 14 years ago, your mileage may vary.