Thread: Interest in a magazine or site focused on affordable flying?

Interest in a magazine or site focused on affordable flying?

Today, I can consider doing and owning things that I could only dream of when I first started flying as a young teacher more than 20 years ago. I am certainly not rich, but spending a lot of time in developing countries helps remind me how fortunate my family and I really are.

Still, the "stuff" that catches my eye has character, and often history, not necessarily great value. I'd rather have an old stepside pickup or a Citrõen 2CV in the garage than a new Corvette or a fancy Mercedes. If I had money to burn then I'd want an old Mini and maybe a Corvair to keep the 2CV company. ;-)

The pair of Icon A5s (almost $200,000 each) on the cover of the latest issue of Sport Aviation reminded me that what really interests me in aviation is affordable flying. Whether factory-built, homebuilt, antique, microlight or ultralight, the planes that catch my eye spark the imagination in part because they are accessible to more people, not just a very select few.

Defining "affordable" is tough. One definition might index the against the price of a modest new car. Google tells me that the Ford Focus and Toyota Corolla are the most popular cars in the world. In the USA, the real world price for one of those cars brand new including delivery and typical options is anything from $18,000-$30,000. So let's say a used factory-built GA airplane, a ready-to-fly ultralight, or a homebuilt from a kit or plans including engine, prop and basic instruments for under $25,000 (preferably less!) is "affordable" in aviation terms.

Would folks be interested in a paper magazine, an e-zine like EAA's "Experimenter," or a web site devoted to a mix of aircraft types but united around the theme of affordable flying?
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

I am always looking for a way to fly, in the manner I like to fly, for less money. Would a magazine of this nature work? Don't know. I have zero knack for marketing. One challenge is in the internet age, there are lots of websites competing for the same audience. Good luck!!
    Bryan

Houston

I am always looking for an interesting read. Your subject matter is right up my alley. Good luck!

Yup, I would be interested.

It depends.

A well rounded "Frugal Flyer" magazine would make for interesting reading. In my mind there are three areas of this:

Certified Aircraft: We tend to see the super-duper-restored-to-perfection older aircraft in magazines, when they're out of reach for the average Joe to buy. But in reality the average Champ or C-150 is a bit worn looking. Sussing out what is a bit ragged but okay and ragged out and needing a lot of work is a mystery for most of us. The Champ I used to fly was a prime example - she definitely wouldn't win any awards to looks, but was solid through and through. The covering was acceptable and serviceable, but more than one person who looked at it gave the stink eye.

And balancing maintenance requirements versus maintenance options is always a point of interest.

Experimental Aircraft: What to look for by types for maintenance - it's a lot like certified aircraft in that regard. Tube and gusset aircraft are different than composites, which are different from aluminum skinned ones. And maybe hit the most popular engines, from VW's to Rotax. Add in "cheap" tool alternatives and low cost jigs and stuff as well.

In flight stuff: Leaning, how to shop for fuel, and basic ways to do things more efficiently. Throw do-dads into this, from nav apps to handheld radios to avionics and gauges. And some gear. My wife asked me what the difference was between an Aviation Tote Bag and a regular one and I had to admit it was about fifty to a hundred bucks.

A magazine that would go heavy on one of the three and light on the others in a rotating fashion would be great.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.