Thread: Interest in a magazine or site focused on affordable flying?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yup, I would be interested.

It depends.

A well rounded "Frugal Flyer" magazine would make for interesting reading. In my mind there are three areas of this:

Certified Aircraft: We tend to see the super-duper-restored-to-perfection older aircraft in magazines, when they're out of reach for the average Joe to buy. But in reality the average Champ or C-150 is a bit worn looking. Sussing out what is a bit ragged but okay and ragged out and needing a lot of work is a mystery for most of us. The Champ I used to fly was a prime example - she definitely wouldn't win any awards to looks, but was solid through and through. The covering was acceptable and serviceable, but more than one person who looked at it gave the stink eye.

And balancing maintenance requirements versus maintenance options is always a point of interest.

Experimental Aircraft: What to look for by types for maintenance - it's a lot like certified aircraft in that regard. Tube and gusset aircraft are different than composites, which are different from aluminum skinned ones. And maybe hit the most popular engines, from VW's to Rotax. Add in "cheap" tool alternatives and low cost jigs and stuff as well.

In flight stuff: Leaning, how to shop for fuel, and basic ways to do things more efficiently. Throw do-dads into this, from nav apps to handheld radios to avionics and gauges. And some gear. My wife asked me what the difference was between an Aviation Tote Bag and a regular one and I had to admit it was about fifty to a hundred bucks.

A magazine that would go heavy on one of the three and light on the others in a rotating fashion would be great.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.