Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Buying your own plane for training

Great -- thanks for keeping us up to date.

Larry N.

Make sure your CFI is giving you sport pilot specific training. You need to ask him some questions about your towered work. See, students training to be private pilots have to get 'x' however many landings at towered airports which can be touch and go's. But reading the sport pilot regs, your tower work needs to be full stop landings..

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by 67jwbruce View Post
    Make sure your CFI is giving you sport pilot specific training. You need to ask him some questions about your towered work. See, students training to be private pilots have to get 'x' however many landings at towered airports which can be touch and go's. But reading the sport pilot regs, your tower work needs to be full stop landings..

Keep up the good work!
    I only need 10 to a full stop which I'm sure I'll have by the time I take my check ride.

Well, today the weather was threatening all day. Low ceilings, poor visibility. By my 5 PM lesson time there was a moderate rain. I texted my instructor expecting him to say no flying. Instead he assured me that the showers would past and we would be gtg. So I started to get the plane ready. The rain stopped and we were back to work with takeoffs and landings. We worked on forward and side slips and with that concluded what I needed to know prior to solo. Unfortunately it looks like the rest of the week is a washout so it will be next Tuesday at the earliest before that happens. My landings tonight were good, not great but I'm getting there. I'm also going to need to schedule an oil and plug change in about 3 more hours. Things are looking good. Total time 10.5 hours

Are you having trouble with you plugs? I've had my plane since 2003 and have never had to pull a plug between annuals.

Quote Originally Posted by 67jwbruce View Post
    Are you having trouble with you plugs? I've had my plane since 2003 and have never had to pull a plug between annuals.
    Per Rotax when using 100LL, oil and plugs should be changed every 25 hours.

ahh, rotax. Someday I may fly behind something rotax powered, so far its all been Continental and Lycoming.

Finally got to fly after a week thanks to Mother Nature. Not flying definitely took it's toll as my first few landings were a bit rough. The instructor liked the last couple though so looks like if I can nail the first few on Thursday I may get to solo. I did reach the milestone of completing the first page in my logbook. Total time: 11.4 hours

Quote Originally Posted by chuckiec View Post
    Finally got to fly after a week thanks to Mother Nature. Not flying definitely took it's toll as my first few landings were a bit rough. The instructor liked the last couple though so looks like if I can nail the first few on Thursday I may get to solo. I did reach the milestone of completing the first page in my logbook. Total time: 11.4 hours
    Had a lot of students for various reasons didn't get to fly as much as they should have/wanted to. Two steps forward and one step back, at the end of the day you're still going forward just a little slower than preferred. I think you are following the model to the "T"

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Had a lot of students for various reasons didn't get to fly as much as they should have/wanted to. Two steps forward and one step back, at the end of the day you're still going forward just a little slower than preferred. I think you are following the model to the "T"
    Not that I haven't been trying. My original plan was 2 lessons a week. First week only 1 day was available. Then I had a rain out so at that point I decided to schedule a 3rd lesson figuring I could make up for any more washouts and if I got a 3rd one in it would be gravy. Apparently my instructor does not have any Sat/Sun availability so I have to schedule during the week around my work. It also doesn't help that the days are getting shorter so I've moved my lesson times from 5 PM to 3 PM.