Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying your own plane for training

Long Island, NY. The plane is at HWV. So far the school's mechanic has OK'd the plane now I'm just waiting for the instructor to get back from vacation.

So, finally getting near the start of my training. Last week got the OK from the school's mechanic. My CFI took the plane up to start flying off his 5 hours and is so far satisfied with the performance of the plane. There are a couple minor maintenance issues that need to be looked at but by the end of the week he should satisfy the insurance requirement. I've already booked him for the next six weeks, twice a week for my lessons so if all goes well next Tuesday I'll finally get to take to the air in my plane!

Ah, the joys of aircraft ownership. So over the weekend there was a slow drip from one of the wing tank drains. Then tonight my instructor was flying off the last of his insurance requirement hours when he got a flat on the nose gear. Luckily I knew the tires needed to be replaced and the new tubes I ordered arrived tonight. I also had one new tire that came with the plane so they'll be waiting for the mechanic in the AM. First official lesson is tomorrow. Yeah!

Sounds great! Sept. 1 is a good day to start!!

Well, first lesson is finally in the books. Nothing fancy, just turns, climbs and descents. Not as easy as it looks. Take off was funny as I was so concentrating on keeping the plane straight I kinda forgot to take off as we were going more than fast enough when the instructor said you might want to pull back now. Then of course I forgot about right rudder and we drifted a bit to the left. I have to admit, Long Island has some nice scenery along the beach (when you're not too busy trying to hold altitude and airspeed), It was a bit hazy at lower altitudes so there wasn't a good reference point on the horizon. Things started to clear up around 6,000 feet. I have some homework and unless there's a cancellation my next lesson won't be till next week. But then I'm booked 2 lessons a week for the next six weeks (schools site only lets you schedule 45 days out). By then I'll have to change to an earlier timeslot as the days will be getting shorter. The fun has begun.

Glad you were finally able to get started. Best of luck to you.

Larry N.

I have enjoyed your progress. I'm in the same boat (or airplane) that you are. I want to get a Light Sport license, but finding someone in the Kansas City area has not been easy.
    I'm still looking. I've thought about going your route and buying an airplane first, but not until I find a CFI that will teach me in my plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra428 View Post
    I have enjoyed your progress. I'm in the same boat (or airplane) that you are. I want to get a Light Sport license, but finding someone in the Kansas City area has not been easy.
    I'm still looking. I've thought about going your route and buying an airplane first, but not until I find a CFI that will teach me in my plane.
    Have you tried the local EAA chapter(s)? I couldn't find anyone through mine but it's worth a shot. Maybe just find a regular CFI willing to follow the sport pilot syllabus. Good luck.

Done with lesson #2. 1.8 hours flight time. Slow flight and stalls. The Zodiac doesn't really do much just kind of mushes and then eventually, if you wait long enough, the nose will drop. It recovers quickly. It's more work remembering how to configure the plane for the maneuver than the actual recovery. Had a nice leisurely flight back to the airport along the beach at 500' and 100 mph indicated while the instructor quizzed me. The instructor demonstrated a touch and go and I then demonstrated how not to setup for a landing. Well, landings are probably lesson 5. lol Next up: Emergency procedures. Total flight time 3 hours.

Great job! I give Sport Pilot training across the sound from you in CT in a J3. You were smart to get your own plane. I have to turn down a lot of people because of their weight. Due to my own weight and the useful load of the airplane I'm restricted to students who weigh less than 220 lbs. That's only about half the people who call me for instruction so I turn too many away.

There are some great places to fly to and see over in Long Island. You'll have a blast. Then when finish up you can plan some flights to Block Island, Marthas Vinyard and Nantucket, which are all great places to visit. All are just a hop and skip across and around the Long Island Sound. This is a fun place to fly. Just keep up with the TFR's that pop up all the time, especially during the summer.