Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Buying your own plane for training

I have a students whose situation is a lot like yours. We've managed 6 lessons in 3 weeks, just under 8 hours total time. All after work during the week, and wow at how fast the days have gotten shorter. But after he's gone with with a 2 week or so out of town trip and the time change here, after work is going to be tough. It may be Saturdays after that, don't know yet. I hope hes able to stay on track, he's made a ton of progress in the last 3 hours, I'd think solo in about 3 more...

Well, no solo yesterday. Instructor was doing a xcountry with another student and got delayed because our good friends at the FAA pulled a ramp check on him in CT. By the time he got back it was starting to get dark so we had time for only a few circuits in the pattern(by the time he called me with the good news, I had already preflighted the plane so I figured I'd just wait). Today is not looking much better, scattered thunderstorms and 15 kt winds. Tomorrow may be a better day.

Quote Originally Posted by 67jwbruce View Post
    I have a students whose situation is a lot like yours. We've managed 6 lessons in 3 weeks, just under 8 hours total time. All after work during the week, and wow at how fast the days have gotten shorter. But after he's gone with with a 2 week or so out of town trip and the time change here, after work is going to be tough. It may be Saturdays after that, don't know yet. I hope hes able to stay on track, he's made a ton of progress in the last 3 hours, I'd think solo in about 3 more...
    I've started moving my lessons up to 3 PM or earlier which means I have to leave work early, not ideal but what the heck.

Well, no flying today. Too windy so looks like I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Well, no solo today. It was a bit gusty but at least I got to fly. That's the good news. My instructor told me he's taking another trip to Europe (oh to be young and have money) the end of next week so I'm going to miss 2 more lessons. It means I better bring my "A" game Tuesday or I won't be flying for a week. He commented today that this was the first time he was not nervous about my landing. I said that made one of us. Actually, considering the wind they were pretty decent. So we'll see what happens.

Mother Nature really hates me. This morning there was some slight rain, but then it cleared up and was nice. Of course right before lesson time 900' scattered clouds with 14kt winds and 22kt gusts rolled in. Lesson canceled. Since my instructor is taking a European vacation this weekend, no lessons till next week. Guess I'll just study for the written.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckiec View Post
    Mother Nature really hates me. This morning there was some slight rain, but then it cleared up and was nice. Of course right before lesson time 900' scattered clouds with 14kt winds and 22kt gusts rolled in. Lesson canceled. Since my instructor is taking a European vacation this weekend, no lessons till next week. Guess I'll just study for the written.
    May I offer you a piece of advice as a long time instructor?
    If I was your instructor and was to be gone for a while and had an ambitious student I would recommend that you spend a little time with another instructor. Couple of benefits, first it keeps you in the air and you continue to hone your skills and second it give you another perspective on your current lessons. I would ask your instructor how he felt about that and if he would recommend someone to you.
    Just a thought
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by wyoranch View Post
    May I offer you a piece of advice as a long time instructor?
    If I was your instructor and was to be gone for a while and had an ambitious student I would recommend that you spend a little time with another instructor. Couple of benefits, first it keeps you in the air and you continue to hone your skills and second it give you another perspective on your current lessons. I would ask your instructor how he felt about that and if he would recommend someone to you.
    Just a thought
    Rick
    Unfortunately, because I'm using my own plane and it's an E-LSA, It took some doing to get the insurance company to agree to having the instructor only fly 5 hours solo before he could teach me. No one else at the school is "approved" to fly my plane. I'll just have to suck it up and wait. Fortunately, once we get past the solo, there aren't many new skills to learn, it will be mostly practice.

Hang in there. As long as you are having fun, its all good.

Why not talk to one of the instructors at the school and see about getting a lesson or so in the school plane while you wait? Something specific, like concentration on Stalls and Recovery, emergency procedures, partial panel, or Simulated Instrument. Just because you hold (or have applied for) a sport pilot student certificate and have no Aviation Medical doesn't mean that you can't take dual instruction. It only means that you aren't qualified to log the time as Pilot in Command. Heck, you still can't log it as Pilot in Command if you are a PPL student with a 3rd class medical. The instructor shouldn't mind, you aren't asking him for a 90 day solo or something like that, just an hour flight.