Thread: Pre-Cover Condition Inspection Requirement

Pre-Cover Condition Inspection Requirement

Is it necessary to obtain condition inspection sign-off's in the log books of certified aircraft that are being recovered? I think that there is a requirement or at least the FAA reserves the right to conduct pre-cover inspections for amateur built aircraft, but I can find no equivalent requirement for aircraft that have FAA type certificates....am I missing something here? I am currently rebuilding/recovering a 7AC Champ and am ready to start covering.
    Thanks....
    Chip

Quote Originally Posted by creahard View Post
    Is it necessary to obtain condition inspection sign-off's in the log books of certified aircraft that are being recovered? I think that there is a requirement or at least the FAA reserves the right to conduct pre-cover inspections for amateur built aircraft, but I can find no equivalent requirement for aircraft that have FAA type certificates....am I missing something here? I am currently rebuilding/recovering a 7AC Champ and am ready to start covering.
    Thanks....
    Chip
    No, no sign off required. Only a record of the work done and authorization for return to service. I'm guessing you are using a polyester type covering system which should have an STC for the Champ. From there it's no different than installing any STC component.

You are an A&P? You do have Inspection Authorization? You are working with an A&P/IA?

And the pre-cover inspection requirement for Experimentals was ended some time ago.

The thing is you'll need an A&P to sign off your work when it's done. Best to get to know one and talk him through your process at the start, and make a log of how you did it to show you followed the STC.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Thank you Marty and Frank,
    I am working with an A&P and using the Stits process...I asked this question of my A&P...he agreed and said the records of work accomplished and his authorization is all that is required.
    Thanks very much.

You must have the recover work signed by an IA and a 337 is required. See CFR 43appendix A. It is a "Major Repair". "Major Repairs" require a 337 and IA sign off.
    If you do not have an IA sign an OK to cover, when the covering is done an IA may not sign it off as he didn't see the structure.
    Even if you have your IA look at the structure before you cover it, have him sign an OK to cover in the log book. If he doesn't, and is not available when your done and you have to get another IA to sign off the Major Repair and 337, he may not sign it as he didn't see the structure.

Actually, it's a major alteration, as Aeronca originally covered her with Grade A cotton, thus the STC for the Pollyfobberdoodle process...still need the 337 though.

The fact that the FAA no longer requires pre-closing inspections of homebuilts is a testament of our safety record.

Quote Originally Posted by crusty old aviator View Post
    ....The fact that the FAA no longer requires pre-closing inspections of homebuilts is a testament of our safety record.
    We still have the requirement here in Canada for pre-cover inspections on homebuilts/experimentals.
    -------------------
    Mark
    EAA 367635
    President EAA 245

1979 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
    Bearhawk #1078 C-GPFG (under construction)