Thread: Mitsubishi AM6 scale kit plane - where are they?

Mitsubishi AM6 scale kit plane - where are they?

I have always liked the lines of the Zero and would consider building one if one were available that could handle a small radial.... like the Rotec. But Google and I are having trouble finding any plans or kits. Where is the Zero?

Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

While the Corsair could definitely use some down scaling (just one prop blade was 12 feet long), that poor FW-190 suffers with Charlie Brown headitis.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I agree that some of the designs scale better than others, though all of them look a little funny up close with a pilot for scale when you realize that the canopy that held the head and shoulders of the pilot in the real one only just holds the head in the scaled-down one.

Name:  640px-P-47D_Wicked_Rabbit_flying.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  31.3 KB Name:  war p47 in flight.jpg
Views: 1633
Size:  48.6 KB

The WAR site is a little thin on information, which doesn't inspire confidence in a plans purchase in the neighborhood of $400 per set. I think they'd sell more plans if they gave a lot more detail about the planes, construction photos, builder's comments, videos, etc. as well as bringing the price down some.

It's too bad that there are so few other "stand-off scale" replica warbirds being build other than all the Mustang variations. I wonder if it's a sign of the times--that younger builders don't have the passion for WWII aviation that older ones do? Here is one exception--a project to build an all-metal 63% scale replica Grumman Hellcat: http://scalebirds.com/
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

You are right, WAR replicate's website is thin and ScaleBirds is just getting started but their work looks great and a ZERO would make a lot of sense after they finish the HELLCAT. The Grumman is going to need something to chase! So much for my ZERO.

Maybe if you looked up A6M instead of AM6 you'd find more. Why don't you design your own scale A6M. Think of all the wonderful things you'd learn. I recommend you build it out of sheet metal though. The spruce longerons with foam and fiberglass was fine for Ken Rand's designs, but even Rutan's designs are experiencing a lot of problems that Van's planes never will.