Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Pilot

Sport Pilot

Looking to obtain my Sport Pilot in the Indianapolis area. Seems hard to find an instructor here, anybody out there?

I'm out here, unfortunately, that would be Arkansas. Finished my Sport Pilot Instructor recently and would love to see someone wanting to learn to fly..

The lack of posting on this has a lot to say. Good luck on your quest for a SP certificate. Two weeks ago I had a conversation with a CFI over the SP certificate. He said no way he would ever give instructions for this certificate. He said he has a career to think about. I have no idea what that meant. What it gave me was some insight into what a CFI thinks about those going after the SP certificate.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by gsherwin View Post
    Looking to obtain my Sport Pilot in the Indianapolis area. Seems hard to find an instructor here, anybody out there?
    I would suggest contacting a Sport Pilot examiner from the list here: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...n/sport_pilot/ and ask if they can provide the name/contact info for any sport pilot instructors.

I encountered no outright road blocks, but a lot of subtle ones. Most of those came from the CFI's and Flight School (not surprising since they stand to lose somewhere between 35 and 50 percent of their revenue). Surprisingly I can give 2 thumbs up to how the FAA has been during the process. The FAA along with my DPE seemed almost giddy to have someone pursue the rating. Also there is a ton of misconceptions, like that doing away with the 3rd class medical would mean the end of the Sport Pilot program.

I don't see sport pilot as a short cut to get out of studying, or doing work. Nor am I looking for the opportunity to help people that are severely deficient medically get in the air. There are certain things that should preclude you being allowed to pilot a plane with someone, who may or may not be privy to your medical shortcomings, on board. But I do see a benefit to studying what matters, we always hear 'fly the plane'. Well, here is a chance to concentrate on doing just that, learning HOW to FLY. What's wrong with doing that as a Sport Pilot for a couple of years, then when you are ready, adding more airplanes (or more seats) you can fly?

I know people aren't necessarily like me, but when I look back on 700 hours of flying mostly 4 seat airplanes, better than 96 percent of my flying has been 1 or 2 people in the DAYTIME, in short, I could have done almost all the flying I've done on a Sport License.
    Last edited by 67jwbruce; 08-06-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Two weeks ago I had a conversation with a CFI over the SP certificate. He said no way he would ever give instructions for this certificate. He said he has a career to think about. I have no idea what that meant. What it gave me was some insight into what a CFI thinks about those going after the SP certificate.
    Gee Tony, one CFI's opinion is not representative of ALL FAA certificated CFI's. Perhaps this particular CFI has no understanding of Sport Pilot nor any interest in providing SP instruction. He is free to do that you know.....

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I would suggest contacting a Sport Pilot examiner from the list here: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...n/sport_pilot/ and ask if they can provide the name/contact info for any sport pilot instructors.
    The DPE that I tested with was on this list and that is how I found him. However, the majority of the list is out of date. ie, people that have quit, at least it was around here.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Gee Tony, one CFI's opinion is not representative of ALL FAA certificated CFI's. Perhaps this particular CFI has no understanding of Sport Pilot nor any interest in providing SP instruction. He is free to do that you know.....
    That is exactly what is going on, most CFI's that I have met, are ready to offer their opinion on something they have no direct (or indirect) knowledge of, and it's only if you choose to keep drilling, do you finally get them to admit that they don't know and have never really considered it.

Check with Indy Metro(Tom Wood aviation)...they fly skycatchers. Also, Indy Executive (Eagle flyers) also skycatchers. Greenwood is where I got mine in an Evektor Sportstar...sorry, it has left the city!

I know how the OP feels. I live on Long Island and you would think with all the flight schools there would be many choices for sport pilot. Unfortunately there was only one school and their LSA fleet has dwindled to a single Skycatcher. I was politely told I was too fat to fly in it so the prospect was lose 25-30 lbs or find an alternative. The only other school could find was in CT, an hour drive and 1 hour ferry ride but they had a Remos. I finally just broke down and bought my own plane, an E-LSA Zodiac CH601 that can carry my (now 250#) carcass, an instructor and gas. Based on what I have seen the sport pilot certificate just doesn't seem to have taken off the way it was predicted. I'd be willing to guess there are as many or more private pilots flying LSAs for one reason or another than new sport pilot only pilots.