Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sport Pilot

Its tough to " Keep after it " when "it" is not even located in your back yard. For those of us who have to travel a few hrs one way for this training, well, it sucks to be us. But if ask those who have this training in thier backyard so to speak, they believe everyone has this available to them in thier back yard. This just is not the case. They will say. I did it why can't you. Because its not available in our back yard. Not everyone can travel a few hrs for one hr training. So what do they do, they go fishing or do some other activity. Now I am done, for it's time to go fishing.
    You might ask why do I go fishing. The pond is in my back yard. In other words, if I had to drive to fish, I would not fish......

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 08-16-2015 at 07:38 AM.

I can relate to that! I am planning on getting gyroplane training/rating and it looks like I'll have to travel not only out of state but halfway across the country!!!

Hello, all Robert here. I drive 1.5 hours one way to get in my 1 hour of flight training for my Sport Pilot goal. it does suck, but my training is in the closest style of airplane I built for myself, I started it as an ultralight, but soon realized it was not going to make weight. since my time with this instructor counted toward my SPL I have moved from learning to fly just as an Ultralite to the Light Sport category.

we are using the Quick Silver side by side, at and I also have a choice of a Challenger, the quick silver is slower and more draggy, but its close to my built plane.

it took me over a year to find this instructor here in ohio, most of the other sources for Sport Pilot were in the 100,000 dollar style light sport aircraft, that are 2.5 time my planes weight, it was not close enough for me to feel comfortable, in a commercial built plane.

its a work in progress, and I have to do what is necessary to get to the goal of SPL.

all I can say is keep after that dream, the hard work and training / testing is worth it.

Robert , Somerset Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I can relate to that! I am planning on getting gyroplane training/rating and it looks like I'll have to travel not only out of state but halfway across the country!!!
    I used to live in Clark Lake. If you have the equipment, I can train you; but not in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by gsherwin View Post
    Looking to obtain my Sport Pilot in the Indianapolis area. Seems hard to find an instructor here, anybody out there?
    Don't lock into Sport Pilot at the start. Start training in what is a available. You do not need the student pilot license or medical until you solo. All training is good and will help.

When getting close to solo find an instructor qualified to teach in your plane.

Do do train at a field suitable for your type of flying. Do not train at a busy Class D airport if you want to fly a Quicksilver. You will waste hundreds of dollars on radio procedures that you will seldom use.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Don't lock into Sport Pilot at the start. Start training in what is a available. You do not need the student pilot license or medical until you solo. All training is good and will help.

When getting close to solo find an instructor qualified to teach in your plane.

Do do train at a field suitable for your type of flying. Do not train at a busy Class D airport if you want to fly a Quicksilver. You will waste hundreds of dollars on radio procedures that you will seldom use.
    If one uses the correct rated Sport Pilot CFI, you are not " Locked " into anything. Another Myth about the SP certificate. That would be: Some believe that once you start or take SP you are " Locked " into this certificate and the time and training mean nothing. This is just wrong, IF one uses the correct rated SP CFI.

Tony

Jedi Just me but I believe the type of training and how to do that you describe is wrong. One needs to find a CFI that understands what they want in a Certificate. This new student needs to build a rapport with his/her CFI. Jumping from one to another does nothing but spread your hard earned money around and waste time.

Also don't just jump in any airplane for training. If you plan on flying a quicksilver do not train in a 172 or 210. Not good advice...IMHO

Tony

The advice that tells you to not give up is the best advice. There are people out and around most everyone who will help another aviator. Its only by being persistent that you will meet these people. They are hard to find because in this day and age aviation on the scale we speak is a loaner activity. Most of us are alone or in very small groups. Its only by getting out and meeting people will you run into this special person who will help you.
    It took me a few years but I found this person. Stick with it and you will find yours. He/she is out there you just have not met them yet. You will..

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Jedi Just me but I believe the type of training and how to do that you describe is wrong. One needs to find a CFI that understands what they want in a Certificate. This new student needs to build a rapport with his/her CFI. Jumping from one to another does nothing but spread your hard earned money around and waste time.

Also don't just jump in any airplane for training. If you plan on flying a quicksilver do not train in a 172 or 210. Not good advice...IMHO

Tony
    There is a lot of truth to what you say but I would spend a few hours in a local C-152 before driving 3 hours for an official LSA such as a Remos or CT that is only slightly different. All use the same technique.

Would you refuse to learn to drive a Ford if what you really wanted was a MG?

Take what is available and build on that. Transition to a Qulicksilver will be a learning process regardless of what you are trained in even if it is two pilot Quick to a solo Quick.

The 150 training will help round out the overall pilot experience. As indicated, it does need to be done in the right environment and with the right CFI. Not the one that thinks Sport Pilots are stupid.

Any my middle ground here?

There's a lot of prejudice out there against sport pilots, and I think that it will get better over time. I volunteered to teach a 2 hour ground school class this weekend, because everyone else (CFIs) were out of town. The class was going to be over ADM and cross country flight planning, a blast email was sent out to everyone. All the private students skipped it. (now, we are talking saturday morning, and I'm new, so i don't know how many would have been there normally..) However, the 6000 hour plus ATP pilot (that's been retired from flying really big iron for 10 or so years) who is getting back into flying at the private pilot level said that he thought it was about the most beneficial class he's seen, and he really seemed to enjoy it. So it may take a while, but I think that once they start seeing good quality pilots out there and that they are operating at the sport pilot level, they will come around. I do think that you've got to be willing to take a few rides in a 150 or 152 to find those guys that will respect what you are looking to do and will help you when you find something that qualifies as light sport. And all the learning counts toward your training. What sport CFI's are supposed to cover (say pre solo) isn't any different than for a private pilot. It would be frustrating if all the students that I might ever have learned to fly with me and then got a signoff with someone else and tested as private pilot... But I'd still get to do some instructing.