Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: 2015: Good and Bad

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkie View Post

. Try as I might, I was unable to locate one of the forums that I wanted to attend. With the distances between forum buildings, it was easy to wander for many minutes searching.
    !
    The Forum buildings need big numbers on all four sides. It is frustrating walking around the buildings just to find the single building number while getting to a forum. This and the confusing tram identification color are a pain. Little things can make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by glider90 View Post
    Snip ><
    ~Jerry the one man band back for year 29th year. He has been on his 'last year' for many years. When he hangs it up buy his van, park it at his gate and play the tapes there every year. Walking into the grounds from Camp Scholler will not be the same without his music.
    Snip><
    ~Jim
    Our first visit was in 2000 and the very first thing we saw was Jerry’s One Man Band. The bike corral gate as always been the Monday morning entrance ever since. It will be sad when he does hang it up but everyone needs to throttle back sometime. Hope he comes back for one more year.

Bill, I agree about the forum buildings. Kept wandering around looking for one and then realized where I stopped to rest was what I was looking for. I do have to ask though, tram colors are a pain? Never had trouble figuring them out. rode them everywhere.
    Bill L

Vehicle Traffic - GOOD!

So happy to have such improvement in the vehicle traffic on the grounds this year. Only saw one jerk driving too fast through the crowd all week! Not sure what was done differently, but it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    The Forum buildings need big numbers on all four sides. It is frustrating walking around the buildings just to find the single building number while getting to a forum. This and the confusing tram identification color are a pain. Little things can make a big difference.
    +2!!!
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by keen9 View Post
    So happy to have such improvement in the vehicle traffic on the grounds this year. Only saw one jerk driving too fast through the crowd all week! Not sure what was done differently, but it worked.
    One change I noticed was a lack of gators which seemed to be the worst speed offenders.

The first thing I noticed in HBC was the grass - it was pretty tall when we arrived the Saturday before the show started. It was much higher a week later. Second, we were parked in row 301 near the back of HBC. All of the airplanes back there were absolutely covered in dust kicked up by traffic on the airport perimeter road. Presumably that is made worse because so many cars are parked in grass/dirt lots and bring the dirt back to the main road to be kicked up by the traffic. It would be nice to have a water truck going back and forth keeping that section of the road damp to hold down the dust.

But you know what? If those are my biggest complaints, things are pretty good!
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 08-05-2015 at 07:16 PM.

My airplane was parked in the L-Bird section of Warbirds. It was also covered with dust by the end of the week -- even with flying it couple of times. Maybe it is because the L-Bird line is so close to Knapp Road and all of the trams, and gators, and golf carts, etc. Maybe it was just because it was so WONDERFULLY dry this year and everybody got dusty, no matter where one parked..
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    My airplane was parked in the L-Bird section of Warbirds. It was also covered with dust by the end of the week -- even with flying it couple of times. Maybe it is because the L-Bird line is so close to Knapp Road and all of the trams, and gators, and golf carts, etc. Maybe it was just because it was so WONDERFULLY dry this year and everybody got dusty, no matter where one parked..
    Yep, your choices are dust or mud. In previous years (not to mention Sloshkosh) we end up filling some of the grass taxiways with wood chips because the soft spots started to get rutted with the passage of hundreds of aircraft.

The good:
    Both evening concerts were great, Jack Pelton has a great stage presence. Having the jets parked in the crowd for the Lt Dan band added to the ambiance. The Mustang run-up and formation flying was good to see again. The porta johns in Camp Scholler were always clean. F-100 and F-4 for the night show were awesome. Really enjoyed the fireworks and the wall of fire. Plenty of food options at a reasonable price. Jerry's One Man Band and the Ornathopter. The Saturday street market in downtown Oshkosh. ATC sounded very friendly "welcome to Oshkosh" or "What year is that plane? It looks great". Everyone in uniform from the CAP to the armed guards around the modern military aircraft were very courteous and usually ended each reply sentence with "sir".
    The bad:
    The 6 hour drive home and the anticipation of next year.