Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 2015: Good and Bad

As an opposing point of view, I think that the stop at the control tower is handled reasonably well. It is a transfer point between the red and green trams. It is a spot where a lot of people get off and the people coming in from the parking areas and green tram can get on. Treating it like any other stop is likely to result in significant hazards, given the number of people getting on and off at that point. Marshaling can be improved, and I am confident that it will be a process of continual improvement. It is certainly an improvement from a couple of years ago, when you had to unload there.

Where the exact transfer spot be between the blue and red lines should be is a good question. Until demonstrated otherwise, I am willing to believe that the folks responsible for transportation planning have looked at that and will continue to adjust based on experience.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

It's obvious to me that the only solution is to build a genuine, Bona fide, Electrified, Six-car Monorail. Although Leonard Nimoy isn't with us anymore to solve any difficulty on the inaugural run.

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleOne View Post
    I didn't say there was. I said "the waiting at the control tower". This year there were volunteers at the tower stop with radios, apparently trying to keep the trams separated. The tram I was on sat there for ten minutes waiting to be cleared to continue north.
    Yep, they were also there because since that is the merge of the red line going in non-obvious directions (it defies logic at that loop which way the tram will go after it departs) and the green (bus tower) line, there is lots of "which tram is this" going on there which better signage as suggested would help.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    it defies logic at that loop which way the tram will go after it departs.
    There's some logic, but I could never remember which side went in which direction. Not this year but last, the driver of the tram I was on turned in the wrong entrance and ended up facing the wrong way on the wrong side. After getting chewed out over the speakers by the lady in the back for thirty seconds nonstop, the driver got down from the tractor and walked away.

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleOne View Post
    I don't know why EAA doesn't have just one main tram route, all the way from the North 40 to past the ultralights. It would eliminate the transfer at the Hangar Cafe and the waiting at the control tower, would be less confusing for attendees, and would require fewer volunteers since there wouldn't need to be volunteers trying to direct traffic at those locations.
    Yep. Just one endless circle of trams running North and South. If you want to go North, hop on a tram pointed that way. South? Same thing. Get off at your destination.

Simple.

Oh, and the idea of signs stating: "Exit here for xxx" is excellent.

Very late now, but I missed listing one of my absolutely favorite unexpected good things about AirVenture this year. See the One-Week-Wonder on Display and seeing my scribble, and those of my family next to some of the rivets we pulled. THAT is EAA.Name:  IMG_2318.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  82.2 KB
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Very cool.