Page 80 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

A few additional notes:

1) There isn't a "run-up" before takeoff. Single ignition, so to check that would be a helluva RPM drop. Carb heat is "automatic," which is Valley Engineering's euphemism for "always on." I do a control check and adjust the altimeter at start up. Normally I slow to a near standstill before the runway for a traffic check, but on this day I had spotters as well and I was all alone.

2) I usually feature screw ups, as they are both informative and entertaining. Based on some comments in other forums, I guess I should show good landings as well. But the little short coupled N11 is capable of such quality fun it's hard to resist.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Yesterday went up for an hour during a break in the weather and greased the landing.

To my surprise, Brian (who took the other video) was on the field, saw it, and said, "I thought about recording it, but I'm glad I didn't. People would think it was faked."

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

With snow on the ground, temperature hovering around freezing, and a ten mile an hour wind (though going down the runway), who can resist a bit of flying?

Mike was on hand and, as become something of a hobby, drove down to the runway to catch me bounce or skid on the landing. I don't usually do those things, but when I do it's worth watching.

I couldn't tell if he was happy or disappointed to catch this:

The windscreen does a good job; looking around it was certainly very brisk! I was in full winter garb, though, so no chance of freezing.

Looks good Frank! Light airplanes like ours certainly get chipper when the weather turns cold.

Called my position on the radio on a winter's day a couple of years back, and someone came back: "Fly Baby? Isn't that an open cockpit airplane?"

I replied, "Just a minute...I'll check." [wait five seconds] "Hey, you're right!"

Ron "Not a sarcastic SOB only on the forum" Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 12-10-2017 at 07:10 PM.

'9.8'

Nobody gets a '10'.......

The VW sounds happy.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

She pretended that it was cold and took three tries to start!

Next up: Figuring out why my handheld Icom radio is squealing when I transmit.

It's not the antenna. Even with the rubber duck antenna on the radio and everything away from the aircraft, the darn thing squeals. I tried other headsets, same.

I think maybe the wires in the attachment to hook a headset to it have a short in them somewhere - because sometimes I can get it to not squeal, but it's random....and is in the vast minority of times.

Oh, and bundling up is an art in the winter. Thankfully I had the honor of riding in the back of the open hatch of an M113 APC in German winters, and knew just what to do:

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Next up: Figuring out why my handheld Icom radio is squealing when I transmit.
    There is a known squealing issue with some models of ICOM handhelds. I've encountered it on an ICOM A5, but it doesn't occur on my A14 even with the same headset.

There is a set of toroids ("chokes") that the mike cable wraps around, and it supposedly will help with the squealing. They're $5.35 from Aircraft Spruce:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal.../icoma6a24.php

(If the link doesn't work, look up "ICOM A6 / A24 HEADSET NOISE MODIFICATION FERRITE CORE".)

Mind you, I've tried endless variations of these, and it doesn't help my A5. But buy a couple and try combinations of wraps.

One thing you MIGHT try is to reduce the sidetone volume on the radio. On my A5, you push the transmit button, then turn down the normal volume knob/button.

Folks should also understand one other key point: When you use a headset adapter on an ICOM handheld, you MUST have a separate push-to-talk switch. If you push the "transmit" button on the radio itself, it uses the built-in microphone.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 12-11-2017 at 02:38 AM.

Yes, the Icom has a horrible problem with RF feedback causing squealing. There are a few things you can do. One, all wires including the PTT switch should be shielded. Use the ferrite chokes as described about (I used the one that came on the AC charger, but you can buy new ones). Third, get the antenna as far away as possible from the radio. On my Kolb I used the original rubber duck antenna on the end of a cable under the plane pointing down, on my Fisher it was a wire antenna on top of the upper wing root.

If you are trying to power this radio off the airplanes power supply you will get a squeal. I-com speaks about this. There is a fix and the fix is not what is mentioned here.

I did have a part break on my setup and it caused a squeal. The cable needed repaired or replaced. I sent said cable to Icom and they repaired it.