Page 63 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Small setback in the flight test program:

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Damn Frank. That's gonna take a few days to patch. But it's only a minor setback.

-Cub Builder

Banned
    The fact that you posted the "setback" means you're OK and that's all that matters. When you're up to it, we'd all like to know what happened.

Yikes?

I see tall grass, not a maintained runway, so I'm guessing engine trouble put you there?

Frank,
    First and foremost, i hope you are ok. Secondly, I hope you are ok. Thirdly, I am sure you will get her patched up and back in the air soon.
    Rick

Aw, crap.

Ron Wanttaja

Okay, so the Who Shot Robbin of the affair.

As y'all might recall, my brakes were so loose that they weren't doing anything at all. It wasn't a big deal, but I'd kind of like the brakes to actually stop the aircraft from the taxi.

So I adjusted them to where the wheels rotated freely and the band brakes rubbed the drums when the handle is pulled. Did some slow taxi and they worked good. Did a stop at the yellow line for a control check and they did good.

Lined up on the runway to take off and just at lift off speed they locked up. Lovely skid marks on the dark black pavement of the runway. I chopped throttle and wrestled the aircraft as best I could as she went left, rolled past the short cut grass of the landing light area, and onto the super uncut grass just past them. That knee high grass acted just like a chock block and up and over she went. I'm standing on the short grass when I took that picture.

The only injury I sustained other than a couple scrapes when I kicked the bottom of the fuel tank was after the wreck. I was suspended upside down by the harness, put my hand up, hit the quick release, and landed straight on my head. So a little bit of a sore neck.

Some DoT guys were working on the lights or something down on that end and helped me flip her back over on the gear. I grabbed a spare wheel from the hangar, replaced the taco, and we pulled it back to the hangar using the super golf cart.

Initial inspection shows the upper left wing front spar is tweaked, the lower right wing spar is tweaked, the rudder got a dent on the upper bow, one of the gear legs cracked, and the front gear support bent. My center section between the two upper wings crumpled, but the gun is okay.*

Prop is trash, and one of my EAA brothers is going to show me how to tear down the VW engine and check for damage - which is what I'm most concerned about.

A Council of the Nieuport Brotherhood, Giger Inspection Division, seems to think that the bands were in fact rubbing, and as they heated up the drums expanded and the bands gripped hard. I dunno, gonna have to completely rethink my brake setup.

This weekend I'm pulling off the wings, stripping the fabric, and giving them and the carry throughs and cabanes close inspection. If it's just the aluminum tube spars I'm in great shape as far as that goes. Pop rivets FTW.

Then take the prop and engine off the plane. The prop gets put into a nice display case for the wall and as I mentioned, the engine gets taken apart. Rotating the prop, it feels okay, and consensus is that it's probably okay.

* I caused a bit of a conversation about using industrial velcro to hold the center section to the wings. Incredibly, the top sheet of the center section bowed inwards around the gun and the velcro held.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    The only injury I sustained other than a couple scrapes when I kicked the bottom of the fuel tank was after the wreck. I was suspended upside down by the harness, put my hand up, hit the quick release, and landed straight on my head. So a little bit of a sore neck.
    Common injury when you end up upside down. Some have broken their necks in just that fashion. Next time you'll know to lead with your hand instead of your head. You'll leave a smaller dent in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    A Council of the Nieuport Brotherhood, Giger Inspection Division, seems to think that the bands were in fact rubbing, and as they heated up the drums expanded and the bands gripped hard. I dunno, gonna have to completely rethink my brake setup.
    Absolutely agree with the assessment of heating and expansion causing the brakes to lock. Since you mentioned the brake adjustment in your explanation, I suspect you also concur.

-Cub Builder

I'm ditching the band brakes - every single one of my mechanical problems (excepting putting springs on the tail wheel) have been with the damned brakes. I'm going to come up with a disk brake system.

Repairs must be going forward, as money is starting to flow. 450 for a new prop. 200 for fabric and glue. I've got to double check the specs on the spars, but I can get them locally.

Tomorrow is the engine check. Fingers crossed.

Banned
    Good luck Frank, all the best with the repairs. Was the aircraft insured?