Page 41 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Yep, those are indeed cooling fins. The unit has to be placed vertically, and if it goes over 180 degrees for extended periods it could fry.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

While I sort out how to run the fuel and electrical systems, I have been lax in showing how I mounted the oil cooler.

Simplicity itself - some steel cut and bent to fit the engine and cooler:

It came with straight fittings, but I didn't like the way the hoses would drape over the engine - so now the fittings face rearwards.

I'll run the hoses back and then up and over from the rear.

The angle is such to where the air flows through the holes in the cooler.

The back isn't blocked off, but it will still be a high pressure area to cool my oil.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Fuel system is in!

Just a few pics for something I spent a lot of time thinking about, trying to make it simpler and less complex with every iteration.

First up is the stupid fuel strainer. I went through a host of trials using screens and stuff with little to show for it. And then I remembered the purpose of the strainer isn't to work as a filter, but to keep junk in the tank that's big enough to clog the line itself until it gets to the filter.

Hmmm, a bit of copper tubing with 1/8th inch holes drilled in it should keep 1/4" sized junk out of the lines.

I flow tested it by running water through the fitting and then putting on the pipe bit - no restriction. It also marked my first soldering in about 30 years.

I want a fuel cut off, and this is where a lot of trial and error factored in. Running it over, across, down the fuselage to where I could reach it by hand and then back down to the firewall presented more problems than it solved.

The plane is just so small that no matter how I ran it either it was too close to my feet and the pedals, rubbed by the aileron control rods, or otherwise too complex.

It occurred to me that I could put it on the tank, and since it's a big lever to operate, position it so that if there was trouble I could lift my foot and kick it over.

A few trials from the seat and it's a winner. One can't accidentally bump the lever in flight, but it's not difficult to put a toe of a shoe on it with the left foot and push it shut.

No real love on returning it into position, though. One is committed when the fuel is shut off.

Note the bottom of the tank has just a plug put into it. It'll be a condition inspection item to drain the tank and pull that plug for any trash or water that might accumulate there throughout the year.

On the engine side of the firewall, I put in a bog standard gascolator. First off, I like the idea of one. Secondly, I bought one about two years ago when I was on a purchase tear for stuff I might need.

The lines are fire sleeved up to the electric pump (which is below the level of the fuel tank), and then up and over to the carb.

The oil lines got a clamp to the mount to keep them out of the way of the hot stuff and to clean things up a bit.

I'm thinking of putting a bit of sheeting between the pump and the exhaust pipes (there's quite a bit of room between them, but I don't know how hot they will get) as a heat shield.

Fuse box arrived in the mail today, so I'll start the prep for the electrical system, mounting everything for the wiring job.

I had to buy and mount a voltage meter onto the panel, which went amazingly well. I had room for it under the other VDO gauges and it looks aesthetically pleasing IMHO. Didn't take a pic of it, though.

Just a thought about your exhaust heat concerns. First let me say I am NOT an A & P, but on my race cars I use ceramic fiber wrap around the pipes. It lowers under hood temps by quite a bit. Of course there is probably a very good reason that you can not or should not use it on an airplane.
    just a thought
    Rick
    p.s. Here is a link as an example.
    http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...MobileSwitchNo
    and here is the installation instructions for the brand I use
    http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/PD...WrapISheet.pdf
    Last edited by wyoranch; 07-31-2015 at 08:19 PM.

I'm assuming it's light weight, and therefore worth looking into.

Of course there is probably a very good reason that you can not or should not use it on an airplane.

We never say "can not" in the world of experimentals, though we do use the phrase "should not" now and then.

I may be over thinking the heat from a VW exhaust pipe, though.

Two things Frank. You should put a drain valve on that fuel tank sump and check it before every flight. You probably figure out a way to run a hose from the valve out the bottom. Also your gascolator is unsupported. Spruce has a bracket to mount it in and you can bolt it to the firewall with some stand offs. Don

I had a lot of conversations about the sump at the bottom of the fuel tank with my EAA brethren (including our tech advisers), and the question becomes:

If I have a gascolator to check for water before each flight, why check the sump as well?
    If I check the sump before each flight, why have a gascolator? Might as just put a regular fuel filter in the line instead.

So the gas is checked in each pre-flight; I'm not that cavalier! I just see no reason to check two places on the tank before each flight.

If there is any water in the fuel at the gascolator, the tank has to be drained and the sump plug pulled, as it would in any arrangement.

On the gascolator itself, the pictures don't show just how solidly it is attached. I'll give it a bunch more looks and take into consideration the notion of additional support though - that's why I put up pictures in the first place, to get opinions on the work!

As always, thank you for all that point out possible weaknesses in the build! It's the sort of things that will keep me safer than the ideas I come up with on my own.

About that drain...

The one below the tank , COULD be full of water ( After Time )

and you might only drain off a little at the gascolator...

I don't know what type of maneuver you'd need... Probably inverted...

But I wouldn't want a Cup of water ready to join the fuel...
    I agree with a way to tap that ... if not every flight...

SOMETIMES ... just for peace of mind...
    Just My TOO SCENTS...
    Gotta Fly...
    JAM

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    If I check the sump before each flight, why have a gascolator? Might as just put a regular fuel filter in the line instead.
    There's good arguments for NOT having a gascolator. Mainly, in an event where the plane ends up on it's belly, the gascolator will likely be compromised and unless the shutoff valve is closed in the heat of the moment, it will empty the fuel tank increasing the potential for fire. Simply drain the sump during preflight and go.

You mean on it's back, not belly?

Because if I'm in a wreck where it takes the gear off my just-over-ultralight aircraft, leaking fuel will be third or fourth down the list of things to worry about.