Page 11 of 109 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Remembering that "scrap" is Swabian for "stuff you just haven't found a use for yet," I locked the aileron in neutral position with some tubing and zip ties.

The idiot proofing really helped out, as this determined which control horn was put on the end of the aileron spar:

In this case, since it's the left (and upside down), the horn is also upside down (reinforcing curve thingie on bottom).

The horn is put level with the compression strut using the roll of aluminum tape and a bit of plywood.

Drill and bolt - since it's upside down, the nut is on the top.

That done, I turned my attention back to the ailerons. I don't like how there's these great big holes where the hinges are, as they're big drag catchers with the air driving right into the aileron itself.

So I came up with a bit of aluminum that I quickly bent to form a box around it.

I made one for both, and both are narrower than the leading edges so they can bend with the fabric. I'll rivet and seal with aluminum tape tomorrow, which should do the trick.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Today was an almost perfect repeat of the other aileron mounting, except...

Well, one can cut twice after all - provided one is taking off a little bit to ensure the leading edge isn't rubbing the aileron mount.

Got this very specialized aluminum trimming machine in the aircraft manufacturing section of Staples.

Ah, that's better!

I'll spare a blow by blow of putting the other aileron on since it's just a repeat of the other one. It started getting dark as I finished up...gotta put in the boxes behind the mounts and then it's time to start working on ribs!

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Looking good Frank! I've been wondering if you have been able to make any progress. My work schedule has been enough that I have a hard time finding time to get more done on my plane. -I guess it's a good problem to have that much business, it's just kind of depressing every time I see the plane all lonely like in the shed. Zach

I know how that goes!

This summer was either busy with work (overtime looks good on a paycheck but is almost not worth it) or it was literally too hot to work safely.

With the weather cooling and it getting too much to bear hearing airplanes fly near the house, I jumped back into building with both feet. Plus renting the Champ is too expensive for more than proficiency training (which I'll be the first to admit I really need).

So when last we left off, I was getting ready to make ribs for the wings. Terribly frustrating, and I disencouraged by the fact that I was trying to build ribs at 90 degrees to the spars when they're supposed to be 83...for the 7 degree sweep....and they were coming up a tad short at the bow end. Nothing that can't be worked around - it's only one upper rib that is a bit kurtz and a tiny gusset will fix that. I'll have to come up with a better solution.

But I also had another issue to work out first!

I had bent and fitted the bow for the ribs from the aileron in waaay back when I was still monkeying around with aileron leading edges. If one recalls, the solution was spacers.

So now the bow isn't parallel to the spar, but a quarter inch further out at the aileron bow, which it must match. Trapazoid hell.

As a bonus, the aileron horn now smacks the bow. But it sure looks pretty otherwise.

The bow and the aileron bow are supposed to have a half inch space between them. Okay, let's set that first.

A little electrical tape on a bit of metal I had laying around should do the trick.

Hey, lookie there, half an inch and it holds them in line with each other.

Okay, forget the plan measurements; let's deal with what is rather than what could have been.

It's 8 3/4 inches from back of the wing spar to the aileron rib.

Let's match the wing root end of the bow to match.

Carefully bend to meet the new distance and rivet.

A bit of PVC pipe, some zip ties and a chunk of plywood and it's center to the rear spar and level to it!

It is a gorgeous day...I wound up stripping off my sweatshirt pretty quickly.

And yes I am definately putting my fingers in my ears and shouting la la la I can't hear you when it is pointed out what a nightmare I have created when it is time to cover.

So now I can concentrate on the big problem - making ribs to fit at 7 degrees sweep.

First, let's measure out where everything falls at seven (or eighty-three) degrees using a compression strut.

This is the problem - it's still a flat ninety degree world on the scrap MDF.

But if we elevate the front and rear spar guides (four inches in the front, which matches the offset of the two spars and a little bit for the rear one), we get to our goal of a more three demensional jig.

Note the plywood above the MDF with the cutouts for the spar bits.

Seven degrees, baby....I need seven degree elevation from bow to front spar...

Blammo! Seven degrees incline.

(Do a little jig in honor of the jig, knocking stuff all over the place)

A few pieces of plywood and some clamps after moving it into the sunshine!

Note I had to trim out the back of the MDF for the "tails" to continue the line.

But before I drill anything, I need to validate the jig to the wing. Time to call the wife into assistance, as the jig is heavy and there's no way I can hold it up and take pictures at the same time.

This is her yesterday when we went to her parent's house for Thanksgiving.

I'm still not quite sure why she ever allowed me to marry her.

Take the damned picture, honey, it's heavy and I'm not only holding it up but pushing it against the wing.

The jig is also "backwards" because I'm sticking it against the root end...to have it match with the bow junction at the back I'd have to use the other end of the wing, which has the end bow and aileron on it.

It's hard to tell from this photo (there's no room to back up and get a good one without screwing up perspective), but it's a match to the angles.

She took one more picture because she said I looked so pleased with myself.

I also get the award for messiest work area floor ever.

Feels so good to make progress.

Tools List

This is awesome Frank! Do you have a list of tools you have/recommend for someone wanting to build one of these beauties?