Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2161697071

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Sam, it's hard to tell from the photos, but I'm really close to 90 degrees, and a bit of inefficiency is a-okay with me!

Here she is as I left her yesterday, wings on and ready for rigging.

Next up after rigging:

Touch up the center wing over-wrap section, repair and mount the gun, patch the access holes I had to cut for installing wires, touch up paint, re-time the engine, and it's on to taxi tests.

I'm not going to cover the wheels until I know everything is good with the brakes.

Sam, I received a letter in the mail from the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, VA inviting my aircraft and myself to their airshow, which will feature WWI aircraft. They did an FAA search for all WWI sounding planes to gain participation. I'm sure you got one, too.

Sure, it's a kind of form letter and they got my first name wrong, but I was pretty jazzed by it.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Well, that went over like a fart in church.

Turns out that when I originally cut my inter-plane struts, the front left one was a bit shorter than the other, which means the top wing wouldn't go into rig.

Why not now when it did before? Beats the hell outta me! But best to repair it and replace with the proper length. And yes, even with the lower wing having a higher incidence than the one on the other side she flew hands off in level flight at cruise. Weird.

So talk to Robert Baslee and he said he'd send one out on Tuesday.

It's Saturday and still no tube....I guess USPS is running a bit slow.

I went out to the airport with a long bit of wood measure out the new strut, as it's a lot easier and cheaper to cut down and whittle a bit of lumber than a flattened tube.

I also had a bit of a flashback. I pulled out the plans to see what the length there called for and laughed. "As Required," is the dimension listed.

So using the other one as a starting point, I matched it and fussed a little to get the measurements just right:

It's just held in with clamps, but the wing is level with a little tension.

Speaking of which, with the strut longer than the one I had originally installed, my wires are too short. At least too short to tighten without leaving threads exposed. So I get to cut and swag new cables. Hurray!

I guess my deep desire to drive my swagging tool (unaffectionately known as the M'Fer to me) to the Tennessee River and throwing it as far in as I could was a good thing to have repressed.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.