Page 36 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Frank, if all the people who follow your project would donate one dollar, you could run for president...

if you win the election (without any doubt), you'll have no time left to fly, and I understand this is not something you want

keep it going

johan

I could never be POTUS.

"I'd like to go flying today."
    "Sorry, Mr. President, there's a TFR."
    "Dang."

[Two weeks later]

"I'd like to go flying today."
    "Sorry, Mr. President, there's a TFR."
    "Again? Sheesh! It's like that darned thing is following me around wherever I go!"
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    It's actually very thin steel - I am just so used to typing aluminum that's all I know how to write.

[edit]

On fire - with a three-quarters cowl (the lower third is cut away, exposing the engine), fire is going to wind up exiting the compartment and along the bottom of the fuselage if it gets going. That's one of the reasons I opted for a wooden floor (as in the original) versus running fabric all the way up, as a lot of folks do with these replicas.
    Frank, if your firewall came with the kit, stick a magnet to it to see if it is indeed steel. The firewall that shipped with my D7 kit was 6061 aluminum which is unacceptable for a firewall. I replaced it with 26g galvanized steel.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Yep, it is aluminum. Hmmm, gonna have to think that one through.

Gun is almost done, and I started work on the windscreen.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I have used this on several airplanes. A little spendy but how much is your life worth. Get their fireproof glue to go with it. Don
    http://www.brownaircraft.com/product_p/ct-190-36.htm

Here in Canada at least, the firewall MUST be steel, not aluminum. I just bought a big piece of stainless from Aircraft Spruce for my Bearhawk. You do NOT want just a piece of aluminum between you and that roaring fire under the cowl...
    -------------------
    Mark
    EAA 367635
    President EAA 245

1979 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
    Bearhawk #1078 C-GPFG (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by rv8bldr View Post
    Here in Canada at least, the firewall MUST be steel, not aluminum. I just bought a big piece of stainless from Aircraft Spruce for my Bearhawk. You do NOT want just a piece of aluminum between you and that roaring fire under the cowl...
    Especially with the aluminum fuel tank just two inches behind the "firewall"......
    Sam Buchanan

For stainless steel for firewalls, check with local metal cabinet shops. I was able to get a piece of .032" stainless cut 42" perfectly round by a local shop for less than the shipping on a piece of square sheet steel.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

Hmmm, I'm thinking I can mount steel over the aluminum, which will keep me from undoing a lot of the work already done. One of the easier things.

Either that or start carrying a pistol in the cockpit as they did in WWI.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Hmmm, I'm thinking I can mount steel over the aluminum, which will keep me from undoing a lot of the work already done. One of the easier things.

Either that or start carrying a pistol in the cockpit as they did in WWI.
    That should work, I even considered that option (not the pistol...) when I changed my firewall. I ended up saving part of the old "firewall" and replacing the majority of it behind the engine (and in front of the tank).

http://fokkerd7.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 06-23-2015 at 10:53 AM.
    Sam Buchanan