Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

So for today's "ugly but it works" picture, behold my offset brake handle:

Just a piece of scrap 1" tubing, annealed and beat on with a hammer, and then riveted to a fuselage tool.

I discovered when removing and replacing the brake line sheaths that the old ones both had kinks in them where I had fed them through the gear legs that were pretty tight. The metal coil of the sheaths were both pinched tight.

So add yet another potential cause for why the brake locked up. When I released them they might not have completely released.

So the new lines will go along the outside of the gear legs, zip tied top and bottom and concealed somewhat by some aluminum tape that I'll paint.

Still working out the brake drum holes to fit the wheels - my wooden jig system didn't work - and the brake assembly thingy mount as well.

Here's something pretty, though:

Engine all put back together and runs pretty darned good:

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Pretty enlightening day out at the airport!

Apart from a lot of non-aviation fun and games (I saw a big wreck happen on the Interstate and a guy that was tased by the police at the airport), actual stuff got done on my Bebe.

First, Mike decided to take a break from his gorgeous KR2 to see if he could help me out. This is good, as I needed a fresh set of eyes on my problems.

My build planning process usually involves several Rube Goldberg type solutions that go through a series of removing unnecessary steps or parts or convoluted ways of doing things. Usually I turn the "fabricate a multi-angle folded piece of aluminum, alter a piece of a kitchen appliance, find strips of some sort of rubber or cloth, a rivnut, three sheet metal screws, two eighth inch rivets, safety wire, and a bit of velcro into "just drill a hole and put a bolt through it, along with two washers and nut."

But sometimes I don't reduce things down as simply as they can be.

We sussed out that my brake cables were best run down the rear gear legs to the brakes (I had them going down the front ones), and how to mount the brake to the assembly I made for the band brakes. Neato! Not only does it look better, but there are fewer bends in the cables.

I did manage to get a little wink for coming up with a good swag for the brake cable ends, using some ferrules and shaping them with the belt sander. I can fabricate just about anything my plane requires with a blow torch, a Sharpie, a hacksaw, a drill, and a belt sander. It's the one skill I have learned I'm rather proud of.

He strongly suggested we correct the fitting I have at the bottom of the fuel tank that goes to my drain, as it has a tiny leak. It's always been that way, and not a huge deal, but apparently having any sort of gasoline leak near the battery is undesirable. Who knew?

Anyhow, how I had it rigged up was a 90 degree fitting with a barb end connector for the fuel line in it and to get it oriented close to the right direction it was a little loose.

We drained the fuel and after cleaning the threads on both, Mike looked at me and asked why the hell did I have that 90 degree bend in there in the first place? The line just goes down and then to the bottom of the firewall...just put the barb fitting in there without it and it can be tightened up properly.

"I dunno, I just did it that way," I admitted, "let's do it your way."

So we did.

Next time I'm out I'll bring my camera to show my work, if anyone is interested.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.