Page 103 of 109 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1083

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Yep, I'm fine.

The medical part has been, um, challenging. Further scans revealed that I broke pretty much every non-floating rib on the left side, which is why it's taking so long to heal.

Plus work. Sigh. Why in the world I agreed to working on aircraft is beyond me (okay, it was money), but they've really put me to work doing all manner of repair stuff, from resurrecting Cub ribs (terrible) to fabricating pieces (not so bad).

Indeed, working at C&D (who restored the EAA sweepstakes Cub and are doing the 50th anniversary raffle plane) has increased my building skills tremendously - even though it was building the Nieuport that got me the job.

To catch up, I've decided to just completely rebuild the fuselage - I'll use it for reference along with plans and my builder's log - reusing the controls, stuff on the dash, and a few other things.
    Sorry to hear about the busted ribs.

Glad you decided to build a new fuselage.

There are many techniques for cutting thick aluminum sheeting for gussets.

Some are clearly better than others:

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Hey Frank,
    When cutting longer lengths with my Makita Throatless Shear...

I run a little of that waxy stuff... or put a drop of thin oil every 6 inches.

Try it.

Gotta Fly...

Keep up the great work Frank. You'll be back in the air in no time.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

My goal is rather than following the old saw of building three plane's worth of parts in order to make one, I'm just going to rebuild mine three times using just one part attempt each.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Back about 20 years ago when I was making digital forms of performance data I made some floppy discs and sent them to a very few people one of which was the Replica Fighter Association. Was I ever off the mark! He had a homebuilt Nieuport. A far cry from a need to decouple an nominal F-4 Phantom data base from war loads and flights. So I made a render of a Sopwith triplane flying over a downloaded Dystopic City. --- give me a moment.. I need to recover my wits. More recently, I found ther was a three wing version of my favorite WW-I fighter, the Nieuport. Up on my shelf here I have plastic model of a resin NI-17, unbuilt with unexpectedly subscale from 1/48th third wing conversion kit. Oh! Well, my question to you is do you know of anyone who has built a Nieuport triplane? Similar to your built but with 3 wings?

Nobody I know has the stones to build the Nieuport triplane. There's a whole host of reasons it was never put into production.

In other news, all the gussets for the fuselage are done!

I have to order some new hardware, though. It's amazing how much force the plane took for me, bending and twisting AN bolts.

I was very interested in how bending ribs you had to apply a very human calibrated force to achieve the correct bend on all. My experience with splines even in computer graphics forms showed me they can fall apart where joining at tangents as you rotate them in space. I am here to meet the ones first person with the structure and also the pilots.

It's all about being consistent from rib to rib, keeping one's feet planted and moving the body and arms the same way.

Sort of like a golf swing.

And this, gentlemen, is the simplest way to make gussets out of .090 sheet: