Page 25 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Because until I posted this on another board I didn't even know there were such things as turnbuckle clips!

But I have oodles of wire, time, and about a gallon and a half of blood in my body, of which I can loose at least a pint with no ill effects.

Not to mention a veritable cornucopia of profanities to draw from should I need to.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 10-16-2014 at 07:59 PM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Looking good Frank! I've been hiding in the paint booth of late. Today, maybe a wing!
    Name:  IMG_2338.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  83.7 KB
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Hey, that's dead sexy!

Everybody's stuff always looks better than mine. Except wives. Mine looks better than yours!

Anyhow, no pics as I was a bit distracted and didn't take any! Firewall mounted and the crimped L sections put around the edges for the cowling, top and side sheeting to attach to. Made a template out of poster board for the top sheeting over the cockpit. My hole is actually an oval, but it sure looks like a circle once it's on the aircraft.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a harness and a batter for fitting. The former is important, as I need to see how feasible it is to have it run over the top of the rear of the cockpit through the turtle deck. I want a very straight line between shoulder and harness mount in case of misfortune.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Once again Sir, thank you for sharing this. I am really enjoying this thread. I hope to be able to see this beauty fly.

I had to order the harness, and it arrived late yesterday.

With just a little while to check how the shoulder harnesses will run, my suspicions that it will be best to run them through the fabric on the top of the turtledeck proved true; it's the only way to give them a straight line from mount to my shoulders. The exit point is okay, though - it's right behind the rear of the cockpit between the stringers - and an inspection ring with a slit in the fabric will work out just fine.

I'm going to make some metal straps at the junction of the horizontal fuselage brace and the longeron, running them through the gusset. The tubing on the top brace is quarter inch aluminum and wouldn't take the stress of a wreck. I'll run cable between the straps with the mounts for the shoulder harness through that cable. The lap belt mounts are no problem at all.

Frank, what a great little plane you have. Fantastic craftsmanship as well. Please tell me, can a big guy fly one? I'm 6'2 210lbs. I like the idea of wind in my face!

You could, theoretically, fit into a 7/8 scale Nieuport 11, but I wouldn't advise it as you'd be uncomfortable and have to not only put on a larger engine (or use a PSRU) but have to tinker with the CG.

It works for me since I'm a 7/8 scale person - when I step up to my plane I turn from a 5'7" 160 pound guy to 6'2" and 200 pound manly man.

Since you're full scale, you really need a full scale airplane.

Fortunately, Robert Baslee has a bunch of full scale WWI representational aircraft in his Airdrome Aeroplane stable. http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/

The Fokker DVII, which is listed at 80% scale, could fit you easily, though. And the full sized Camel would be even better.

The prices are insanely affordable, even for a guy like me working on a 7/8th scale budget: http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/ai...orderform.html

Now, then, a word about the kits. They're not really kits in the modern sense - they're more like material supplies. While all the hardware is there and the gussets are all pre-cut (and if tubing needs to be ovalled, it's oval), the tubing is left overly long and requires coping and fitting. Nothing is pre-punched. Mr. Baslee also likes to put in extra tubing and gussets, so inventory can be a little goofy; I learned not to stress too much when I had extra parts (like gussets) left over.

The real value of the kit is that once one buys a kit (or part of a kit, like the fuselage), one can go up to Holden, MO, and take advantage of the builder's assist in his workshop. In the WWI replica world it's kindly referred to as the House of Pain, as Robert and his assistant, Jim, will assist - but the builder does the work (and bringing friends is encouraged). Robert doesn't like to stand around and talk about airplanes; he likes to build them, and tends to encourage working quickly and efficiently (I think his sometime nickname of Bullwhip Baslee is a little exaggerated). The big thing is that it's like a constant building seminar - I didn't know jack about tube and gusset construction, annealing, bending tubes, riveting, removing rivets, or anything about building airplanes when I showed up on Monday. On Friday I had learned all the skills required to build the aircraft (less covering), and more importantly came away with a fuselage done, on gear, with the tail feathers complete and fitted as well. On my aircraft, which I then took home!

On to my little Bebe! I worked up a seat cushion this morning and have some small steel lift tangs that I painted drying. When they do, I'm going to put them onto the gussets and run the shoulder harness wire. Gonna fit the panel as well.

Might have to consider that 80% sa ale Fokker. Too cool, it would be a blast to fly. Hmm, thanks for fanning the flames here, just what I need. Already have two planes and this one would truly be a different mission so I could justify it to myself to add to the collections! And besides, after my Glasair III is done there will be a large void in my life after a long five year build.

I think this video of Airdrome Aeroplanes almost qualifies as NSFW:

Oh, I did actually get some work done on the plane...

Didn't get a chance to mount the harness today, but I managed to whip together the seat cushion.

My derr, I'm not too smart, am I moment presented itself early. I had pulled the fabric bolt that I used for the back of the seat and frowned at how wrinkled it was.

Man. That's not going to work.

Well, der, it's not like I don't have three irons and some plywood back there.

Cutting the plywood base to fit was a snap (and I had to make a custom cushion because I made a custom seat), and some foam I had laying about was cut and put onto it using some 77 adhesive.

Note the precision of the scissor work on the edges. They don't teach craftsmanship like that in schools!

3M 77 adhesive around the edges underneath to hold the fabric for me.

Pull and tuck the fabric over the foam...

Gooder enough for me, and the holes in the seat fit it just right for the seat belt.

I'll go back and put in some staples underneath and ScotchGuard the fabric tomorrow.

Now, then, a couple notes:

1) It's just WalMart foam for the cushion. Enough to keep my butt off the hard of the seat and not much more. It's far less than what is in certified aircraft or what's recommended from a safety standpoint. Remember, though, that this plane is really a fat ultralight.

2) Yes, at one point I actually started long division on what half of 22.5 was. And then solved it and wrote it out. But I found that doing even simple math in one's head is a good way to have the opportunity to redo a part.