Page 82 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Y'all rock!

After delivering my package to one of my neighbors - who was kind of enough to bring it by - I hooked up the new cables to a headset I have at the house (because A) of course I have a spare headset here, and B) I wanted to see if it was the old set of cables) and squeal squeal squeal.

Put a couple of those ferrite thingies on the cables as advertised and all gone.

Neato.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Ferrite Cores worked wonders in the aircraft...and since there was some traffic, I actually got to talk to some folks in the air, and came over legible.

On a lighter note:

I was out at the airport today to help a friend work on his KR2 when we realized that the weather was pretty darned good for flying.

When he got to a point where he didn't need my help, down I went to pull Babette out of the hangar and into the air.

So here I am, flying a small route around the aerodrome, well away from the front, when I feel it. I'm not alone. Looking around, up, and behind me, I'm shocked to see a Folke Wulf 149D at my eight o'clock, 1500 feet above and about half a mile off, stalking.

His paint scheme pretty much just like this:

It's intuitive!

A gallant salute (he had no ammo, so I spared him), and we went our separate ways.

I also bought some Ferrite Cores to go around my headset cables, and they worked! No squealing when I transmit over the radio!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    A gallant salute (he had no ammo, so I spared him), and we went our separate ways.
    I got bounced by an RV-4 once. Amazing how a slow, light, maneuverable aircraft can get itself out of trouble. That RV went home with lots of pipper burns on his tail.

Recently re-read Charles Lamb's "War in a Stringbag," the memoirs of a WWII Fairey Swordfish pilot. They found pretty much the same thing, that at anything near even odds, the big old biplane could keep the bad guys from drawing a bead on them. He describes how two Italian fighters lost control at low altitude and crashed, trying to keep up with him.

Ron Wanttaja

The Soviet Night Witches in their Po-2's actually scored a couple kills on Bf-109's - by flying just above stall (about 40 mph) right above the trees and doing gentle S turns. The 109's punched into the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I got bounced by an RV-4 once. Amazing how a slow, light, maneuverable aircraft can get itself out of trouble. That RV went home with lots of pipper burns on his tail.
    Hah! I got bounced by a P-51 once, as I was cruising my T-Craft at a couple hundred feet along the New Jersey shore. I heard him before I saw him, even over my own engine noise, as he roared by a little ways off my right wingtip... and then he was gone.

My EAA brothers and I make it a regular habit to call each other before flying, even on local flights, to say when we're flying, where, and our expected return - and even "close out" afterwards. Our wives tend to get glassy-eyed when flight plans are discussed, it seems, and so confidence that they could relay that data accurately if we come up missing is doubtful.

So naturally I called Mike up and told him I was going to fly over to Pell City, up the Coosa River as far as the dam, and then backtrack to the airport. About sixty miles, so around an hour or so. He was passing by the airport on his way home from work around my anticipated return time and snuck down to the end of the runway to capture my landing. I think at this point being next to the Talladega Speedway is prescient; I suspect folks gather to watch me land for the same reason they watch NASCAR. But the joke's on them - my days of bending axles and warping wheels are past me (knock on wood).

And as long as they're making video of my landings, I'm going to put them to music and force them on other people.

Yes, it was butt cold. No, I didn't wear my wool pants, and my scarf end came loose and started flailing around and had to be tucked down low into my parka, so it was a chilly last third of the flight.

Next time out, no flying. I have to pull the oil pressure relief valve plug thingies, check to see why they're not relieving any oil pressure (galling, etc.), and if there are any shims putting too much pressure on the springs, remove them. Right now oil pressure is too high and it's spitting out the prop hub. Not much, but any is too much. I may see if I can dig up some stock springs for them, as I don't need the high pressure off road springs Valley Engineering put in there.

Hey Frank,

Nice plane and nice landing. I would check with Valley before the springs. Accountability and safety like calling peeps before flights. Have a safe New Years. Nice family pics too.

Jim

The heck with the parka, Frank, you REALLY need to get one of these. A reproduction WWI flying coat, for just $240.

https://southbeachleather.com/world-...ing-long-coat/

Figuring out how to climb into the cockpit wearing a long coat like this is left as an exercise for the reader.....

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I think at this point being next to the Talladega Speedway is prescient; I suspect folks gather to watch me land for the same reason they watch NASCAR. But the joke's on them - my days of bending axles and warping wheels are past me (knock on wood).
    Speaking of that, how are the new brakes working?

I flew Saturday, 38 degrees here in Seattle. Wore my B3 flying coat (shearling) and a ski mask, the rest just ordinary wear. Very comfortable for the ~45 minute flight.

One trick I've been using is to wear a knit turtleneck shirt under a flannel shirt. Nice and toasty, and if the scarf gets dislodged, it doesn't matter as much.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 12-27-2017 at 02:20 PM.

First, I really, really want that coat. And it's in the ballpark of "finagaling the finances" range. Lord knows the flying helmet company you told me about came back aces - it's perfect in every way.

And I broke the code on mounting the aircraft in a long coat - from standing on the seat, make sure the coat is down and not hung on the back of the cockpit, getting it as forward in the back as possible. Place one's feet on the pedal runners and, with one's shoulders at the top of cockpit, push up to where one's butt isn't on the seat. Pull the back of the coat down until it's tight down the back. Sit down. Fidget around in the seat until it's how one wants it - and a fold across the back is a painful thing in flight, so if it's not right, stand back up! Buckle up and smile!

Second, I wasn't entirely dressed for flying, lacking my Army five button wool sweater or my wool pants. I really needed those wool pants! Going to have to invest in a ski mask, which isn't very common down here...but we live in the age of the Internet.

@ FB - Valley concurs the relief valves are probably stuck and are agnostic about either off road or stock springs. They put in the off road springs because that's what the engine kits come with. While I'll defend and recommend Culver Props/Valley Engineering without hesitation, they give advice on their products once delivered. I'm sure if there was a serious defect they'd make things right immediately, but there's no real warranty of any sort. That and the fact that I rebuilt the engine would pretty much absolve them of any blame.

The Great Plains guys said to pull them, check for galling of the passage (and gently run some fine emery paper up them), and if I still get over pressure, cut about a quarter inch from the rear spring (if removing any shims under them doesn't work).